Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Istalling another Cobra Tuner; remove HD map?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing another Cobra Tuner; remove HD map?

Searched and couldn't find answer. I was pretty good at carbs and jetting etc, but only tweeked one car ecm on a dyno so not savy on HD tuners.

I put a Cobra 1200 Autotuner on my Blackline and its run great. No dynos, adjusts to any new mods and tunes real time. I have a HD tuner on my 09 Street Glide. When they did the 103" kit, they didn't have a dyno at the time and slammed a generic disk tune in that was used from another application, and as we know that isn't peak tuned. I'm putting V & H duals on it today with Big City Monster Baffles so its gonna need re-tuning any way. After a lot of indecision, I ordered a second Cobra F1200 for the SG. I would just rather have the option of changing pipes, baffles, intakes, motor builds etc. without spending money on a dyno again. I couldn't be more satisfied with the Cobra on my Blackline.

My question is, can I just run the Cobra over the HD tune, or do I need to go to the HD service and have them erase the tune and put it back to stock. Was thinking if its okay to leave it in then it would have that base tune in the event of a tuner fail. Thanks in advance for tech advice. Always learning.

BTW, did email Cobra support and awaiting answer.

Last edited by outgood; 02-15-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What HD tuner? If it's the SE Pro, no dyno needed, just Smart tune it (need program disk, cables, laptop or Pc near the bike and time on your hands).

also, if it was just a stage 1 flash from the SE street tuner, not sure about Cobra, but when I ran the TFI a few years ago, Dobeck provided me with the right settings for the "pots" with the stage 1 map. It was slightly different than the stock OE map. Prob have to wait and see what Cobra says.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the SE Pro. Wllie G. marketed this one obviously, its mated to this bike only and useless for resale. I had one on my V-rod and gave it away with the bike as it was mated to it. What a waste. Thanks for your help, and btw, your not far from me.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my thought... I'd keep the SE Pro, buy the cables and program disc and as long as you have a laptop, you can smart tune it with every change of the motor. Heck, throw a 120 R and the SEPro has a base mapf or it. You can do alot with the SE Pro.

No experience with the Cobra unit, but the TFI worked fine for me but it only adjusted the pulse width of the injector. No way to adjust timing and all the other tables win the map.

Good luck with what ever you do.