Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

electrical current draw short circuit problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 05:53 PM
93fxdl
|
Stage II
Default electrical current draw short circuit problem

ARGH! I replaced my handlebars on my 93fxdl.I did have to grind a little off the housings since the bars were not indented,being careful to leave enuff meat to clamp on properly and not cut thru any wires as well.The bike runs and starts great if I use it every day.If i leave it for a week the battery goes dead!I checked the control wires,doesn't seem to be any breaks.How do I check them to see where there is a short circuit or current draw? Could it be because the space i grinded off not big enuff causing the wires to be squeezed together too much causing a draw,short circuit? When I did connect the clamps the first time I left a little space between them causing the bake lite to stay on but it was corrected.It has a brand new gel battery so whats up?

Old 12-13-2006 | 03:39 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Default RE: electrical current draw short circuit problem

Hook up an amp meter and see what your current draw is when bike is off and key removed. On an 93 it should be close to Zero. There should be no power to the handle bars when ignition off (unless your hazzards work without ignition power) so you may have something wired wrong. Did you install after market turn signals with a load equallizer??

Anyways. If you have a current draw of more than 10ma start disconnecting wires until you find the draw.