Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel leak at guick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
sawmill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leak at guick disconnect

2005 ULTRA CLASSIS,,,

small fuel leak at quick disconnect on check value on bottom of tank,,,, BUT,,,,, fuel really starts flowing from the quick disconnect when I flip the switch to RUN before I start it,,

My question is,,, " Is there a fuel pump that creats pressure when I flip the run switch??

Iam attempting to drain the fuel only to get a small tricle from the value,,

I have purchased the 2 hoses to replace on the quick connect and the parts needed to remove the top of the tank (screws, gasket, hose clamp)

THANKS FOR ANY INFO AVAILABLE 7 THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT !!!!

bb

Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sawmill
2005 ULTRA CLASSIS,,,

My question is,,, " Is there a fuel pump that creats pressure when I flip the run switch??

Iam attempting to drain the fuel only to get a small tricle from the value,,
bb
Yes, there is a fuel pump inside the tank that creates fuel pressure for the injectors.
If you don't start the engine the pump just primes for 3 sec. and shuts off. If you want to restart the pump for another 3 sec. just cycle the Run switch to OFF then ON again. This way you can use the fuel pump to empty the tank, cycle the Run/Stop switch ON/OFF/ON untill no fuel comes out.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
sawmill
6th Gear

OK,,,thanks for the info

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
sawmill
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Aborigen2
Yes, there is a fuel pump inside the tank that creates fuel pressure for the injectors.
If you don't start the engine the pump just primes for 3 sec. and shuts off. If you want to restart the pump for another 3 sec. just cycle the Run switch to OFF then ON again. This way you can use the fuel pump to empty the tank, cycle the Run/Stop switch ON/OFF/ON untill no fuel comes out.
OK,,, have drained the fuel,, but could not use fuel pump,, female connect leaked too bad, had to let it trickle,,

Now I am having a small problem getting the module out of the tank,, have removed the stainless stell strap and that is as far as I can get,,, I did notice the CAUTION sticker that said be careful module may break from removing,,,???

thank you for INFO available !!!!!

BB

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sawmill
OK,,, have drained the fuel,, but could not use fuel pump,, female connect leaked too bad, had to let it trickle,,

Now I am having a small problem getting the module out of the tank,, have removed the stainless stell strap and that is as far as I can get,,, I did notice the CAUTION sticker that said be careful module may break from removing,,,???

thank you for INFO available !!!!!

BB
What module are you trying to remove? The Fuel Pump assembly?

If you are removing the fuel pump assembly you got to treat it gently, like you treat a girl on the first date.
It is hard to describe, but you have to carefully lift it and spin it around so you don’t damage the fuel sender.
No brute force allowed – treat it gently and you’ll be fine.
While lifting the assembly look into the tank – you’ll figure out which way you have to spin it to come out.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
sawmill
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Aborigen2
What module are you trying to remove? The Fuel Pump assembly?

If you are removing the fuel pump assembly you got to treat it gently, like you treat a girl on the first date.
It is hard to describe, but you have to carefully lift it and spin it around so you don’t damage the fuel sender.
No brute force allowed – treat it gently and you’ll be fine.
While lifting the assembly look into the tank – you’ll figure out which way you have to spin it to come out.
OK,,,, you have no idea how patient I have been with this JACK WAGON,,, YES, it is the entire unit that sits inside the tank,, I disconneted the fuel line that goes to the quick connect,, got the unit half way out and that is it,, extremely fustrated at this point,,, any more advice???????

Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out youtube. a couple video's of removing the pump.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM
sawmill
6th Gear

OK,,,, thanks for all the help,,,, FINALLY got the thing out,,,, and back together again,,,,

There was a spring in side that had to be released in order for the pump to be removed,,,

Excellent video on Utube (2 videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJvt9...f=mfu_in_order

Thanks again for your time and effort !!!!

Last edited by sawmill; 01-12-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: found additional info