Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Any stage ones completely get rid of decel popping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011 | 08:39 PM
RLE
|
Tourer
Default Any stage ones completely get rid of decel popping?

On my 08 street bob Im running an se ac, bub jug huggers, and recently am fm powervision. The original map they sent me had quite a bit of popping so I got a hold of Jamie and he sent me a new map. After flashing this new map I was blown away how well it ran and there was no popping. After quite a bit of riding I let off the throttle for a turn or something and got a couple of pops and was surprised to hear em. So...I try to recreate just what I did and couldnt get it to pop again, until a day or so later I got a strange pop. Nothing horrible or anything, just a curious thing I was wondering about.
I can go from full throttle hot rodding, dump the throttle, and not get any popping. But get an odd little one out of nowhere for no reason. Theres no certain time or cercumstances for it, and its not worth requesting a new map for, I really like this one and the performance increases.
Guess Im just wondering if anyone else has these occasional pops. Im sure 35-40 degree weather and short pipes has alot to do with it.

Old 12-28-2011 | 09:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I was having lots of decel pop but the TMax cured 99.9% of it. Like you, every now and then it happens, just one pop. It's so rare that I can't even pinpoint under what conditions it happens. I'm hoping that the auto tune will eventually get rid of it, but after spending 2 years and trying other devices I don't care if it does or not.

Old 01-01-2012 | 08:50 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by RLE
On my 08 street bob Im running an se ac, bub jug huggers, and recently am fm powervision. The original map they sent me had quite a bit of popping so I got a hold of Jamie and he sent me a new map. After flashing this new map I was blown away how well it ran and there was no popping. After quite a bit of riding I let off the throttle for a turn or something and got a couple of pops and was surprised to hear em. So...I try to recreate just what I did and couldnt get it to pop again, until a day or so later I got a strange pop. Nothing horrible or anything, just a curious thing I was wondering about.
I can go from full throttle hot rodding, dump the throttle, and not get any popping. But get an odd little one out of nowhere for no reason. Theres no certain time or cercumstances for it, and its not worth requesting a new map for, I really like this one and the performance increases.
Guess Im just wondering if anyone else has these occasional pops. Im sure 35-40 degree weather and short pipes has alot to do with it.
It's not abnormal to have an occasional pop with changes in weather. It just means all the conditions were right to have combustion in the pipe. Take it from me (been where you are), if you love the way it runs and you can't "make" it pop then ride the hell out of it and don't worry about it.