Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

need input on getting bike tuned

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 PM
remmag
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need input on getting bike tuned

hey guys
i just completed my hillside 98 '' build on a 03 roadking

the bike currently has a power commander 3, i down loaded a map from fuel moto, i will get the bike tuned probably from Jamie at harley of bowling green on the advice of scott at hill side, it will be a drive for me but i am willing to do it. i am from knoxville

anyway my question is 2 parts
is the power commnnder 3 my best option for a great tune, will it take care of timing issues as well as fuel curve

second question
i had the bike tuned before and from my observations they ran the bike mostly at wide open throttle when tuning
this doesnt make sence to me because i dont run at WOT
should tuners not be tuning the bike where it is run at for the most accurate tune, it seems the most important would be in the lower rpm's and cruising range, i dont think they ever kept it there for more than a second on my last tune

just trying to make good informed decisions,

thanks for any help

Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The PC3 should be adequate for your tuning needs. An older SERT or a newer TTS would give the tuner tools to tune it in 'finer' but I think you are OK with it.

You ARE 100% correct on your thinking on the second part. PC tuners tend to do that, but any tuner will run the bike up to fill all the cells... the GOOD tuners will spend time in all of those cells, too... gathering data for the best mix of things.

Talk to you tuner and ask him about these things and the stuff in that "Questions on should ask their tuner" up in the sticky section.

PLEASE!!! If you feel that a tuner doesn't meet your expectation on questioning... CHANGE tuners!

I know a fella that WOULD tune your bike nicely and is about the same distance away. Palmer Bros does some nice work... a PROPER tune is whats necessary to make that build SHINE!!!

PM me and I will give you good info.... if you wish.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the Powervision from Fuel Moto and learn to tune it yourself if you are so inclined. That way you know how it's done.

Or just run with one of their custom maps.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-by-admin.html

Old 12-27-2011, 05:22 PM
remmag
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the input

wurk truk
i am going to make sure this will be done right and have all questions answered, done been down the money spent with regret road
i will pm you probably tomorrow, i have just received a honey do list

thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 AM
fltrse3clone
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel you've made a great decision in the Tuner you selected. It's really sad that we have to travel to get a really good tune on our bikes but it is what it is!