Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

O2 sensor placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 sensor placement

I purchased the autotune module to linkto my power commander V for my ultra. I want this to tune the bike for optimum performance with the setup I have. My question is were to place the wide band O2 sensors. My V&H twin slash pipes have sensor location down by my footboards. I have seen O2 sensors installed up by the pipe flang at the engine, about 4 or 6 inches back. I do not have the stock headers, I have the V&H true duals.

What is best? There is no documentation with the kits to guide me.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

The easiest thing would be mimic the 09 and older stock exhaust. You do want to make sure the bungs are short enough to let the sensor protrude into the pipe. The sensor you want to install is also longer than stock, so remember make sure you leave enough room for that.

Attached Thumbnails O2 sensor placement-lsu-sensor.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Tripleshot
Tourer

The O2 sensors are larger than stock ,so I had to buy weld on bungs. That is why I ask now why people are putting the O2 sensors so close to the cylinder exhaust flang. If I put it at the location where the V&H bungs are, that is wrong size(stock size) and apparently at the south end of were a cat converter would have been. I do not have a cat converter now. I left the stock sensor in the pipe at that location discoonected from the ECM just to have the hole plugged. I intend to get a bolt to fit in it and remove that stock O2 sensor.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripleshot
The O2 sensors are larger than stock ,so I had to buy weld on bungs. That is why I ask now why people are putting the O2 sensors so close to the cylinder exhaust flang. If I put it at the location where the V&H bungs are, that is wrong size(stock size) and apparently at the south end of were a cat converter would have been. I do not have a cat converter now. I left the stock sensor in the pipe at that location discoonected from the ECM just to have the hole plugged. I intend to get a bolt to fit in it and remove that stock O2 sensor.
The 2010 sensors (12mm) are smaller than the 09 (18mm) and are also preheated to come on line quicker. You will want to install the new sensors up by the flange. The sensors you are installing are even larger than the stock 09 and older narrow bands. Here is a pic of the 18mm bung on the Fuelmoto Jackpot pipe. This one is installed properly, unlike a lot of other after market manufacturers. You can also order the proper 12mm bungs to plug your existing holes from Jamie.

Attached Thumbnails O2 sensor placement-jackpotflange.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer

Thanks Lonewolf176. I need to just find the welder now andget it installed. I'm looking foward to having it in, since getting a good tune with PCV is hard to find with my cams. I want the on the fly monitoring and updates of the map.