Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Newbie - question about Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Black & Chrome
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - question about Engine Management

Hi, am new to the forum - what a great place and after having always dreamed of a fat boy I'm finally in the market for one!

I'm currently looking at this one:

2001 HARLEY-DAVIDSON FLSTFI FATBOY FUEL INJECT BLACK | eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-HARLE...#ht_500wt_1413

What are your collective thoughts on it?

Also the owner has mentioned that:

" The FI modepa has an engine management light on the dash, this has been on since day one, goes on and off. Harley charged me £ 60 to tell me it was a loom earth and would I like them to strip the loom to find it. That was three years ago. Since been all round Europe. "

Should I be concerned?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Engine Light in the Speedo is turned ON by the ECM when there is an error in the engine managements circuits (sensors, coils, injectors, etc). The light is commanded ON via a message send on the computer bus (J1850 bus).

If the light is comming ON and OFF during normal usage of the vehicle then there is some intermittent error. For the light to come ON it means that the ECM has already set an Error Code - you can interrogate the Speedo via the Trip Switch and find out what is the error.

There is a whole bunch of errors which will turn the light ON but you can still run the vehicle (those are non-critical errrors). However, you engine may run like a s--t, the emmisions will be higher, or can spit and stumble; run lean or rich, etc. At some point the intermittent error will turn into permanent, and that will hapen when you are far away and the weather is shitty, that's how it goes.

Intermittenr error in 99% is lose connection, corroded pins, chafed wire. This is cheap to fix, but may be hard to find, you'll need some knowledge and service literature.

Check the error codes