Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Headlight Bulb Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Beefcake
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb Recommendation

I'm looking for a new headlight bulb for my 95 FXST......I want something bright, really bright, almost like the eye of God bearing down you! J&P Cycles has a great dual headlight combo I'm looking to buy, but I want to swap the bulbs with something that will make my headlights REALLY noticeable. What do you guys think?

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...2-A10AF030DFFD Here's a link to the headlights I'm talking about.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 149 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Headlight Bulb Recommendation

Thats one awesome looking setup, that with a couple of quarts or HID bulbs in there would look like daylight

Old 07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just noticed last night that when going around corners, if I dont have the high beam on, I cant see for ****.

If you get this setup, let us know how it works out

Old 07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
PLHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put a really bright bulb in the stock headlight housing on my 99 Wide Glide, and really liked the way it looked with the refracting colors and bluish main beam. Folks I rode with said they could look back in the pack and pick me out real easily (it was being visible in the daylight that I was going for). But when I went to trade the bike, and wanted to put the stock bulb in, I found that this bright bulb had melted the plastic bulb recepticle and there was no getting the bulb out. Thank goodness it never burned out when I was on the road somewhere, cause it was going to take replacing the recepticle to change the bulb.

PL

Old 07-20-2005, 05:59 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to be careful as PLHOG stated, some of the high wattage output bulbs put out mega heat, and the plastic housings will melt or distort.

John TN

Old 07-20-2005, 06:19 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

So ya wanta see/be seen do ya???
Pretty brite!
But you better re-wire for it!

Old 07-20-2005, 10:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

I replaced the lamp in my headlight with something from J&P. It's a 100/80 watt bulb, which is about the brightest you can use with many stock lampholders. J&P calls it a "German Rally Bulb". Part # is 380-887.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:49 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

THe new softails have a rubber mount and the after markets do not. I have tried many types and the one that have a long mounting bracket tend to blow the bulbs on a regular basis due to vibration. I have been working with heads winds and between the owner and I we have come up with a fix. A note on the cheap over seas buckets they are of very low quality. From the wiring to the rings used to hold lamp in place. For the long billet look the HD trim rings works very well and is not very pricey. The sportys have the same problem with vibration popping the bulbs, I have swapped fxst lamps onto them and problem gone. Bikes that are strokers and create more vibration are of course more prone to this than a bone stocker. But HD made them with a rubber mount for a reason. Just a FYI as building bikes you get to see things that you would never give a second thought. Also make sure you run a ground back to frame!!!! The oversease ones will ground to bucket WRONG!!!! as you are then trying to ground the circuit through the neck bearings bad idea. Good luck,