Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 AM
four5acp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.

I purchased a Power COmmander III usb. I have a 05 RKC with big bore, stage II, Vance and hines slip-ons, 203 SE cams and SE heads. Does anyone know where I can get a map for this? I am trying to avoid paying the dealer 250 for a custom map. Thanks alot.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.

Have you looked on the Power Commander web-site? Search for the HD map that matches your mods or the nearest match, and if you can't find one look in the user summited section for HD. If you can't find one, use the nearest match, then you can have a base dyno run done to see what the AFR is and you can make minute adjustments yourself, it's not that hard to do.

John TN

Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Bill, you can get a map that is made for your particular setup here http://www.mmgmanagement.com/ .

Matt Gross is the trainer for the dealers on dyno's. He also developed maps for each individual application with various mods. Don't know about cost, but they are tried and true for each application. Worth giving them a shout! Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:17 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

TC,

I looked around at his web-site and I did'nt see any maps listed. Have you used him before? I had read an article a while back he wrote in one of the bike rags, he seems to be the leading authority on doing the dyno tuning and training right now.

John TN

Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: John TN

TC,

I looked around at his web-site and I did'nt see any maps listed. Have you used him before? I had read an article a while back he wrote in one of the bike rags, he seems to be the leading authority on doing the dyno tuning and training right now.

John TN
John
I think you have to contact them for the maps and they tell you the charges and how to get them, I have never used one of his maps , but Matt has helped me out on a few ocasions and really knows his stuff. If you do have any problems with one of his maps, he does whatever is necessary to make it right. He is the instructor on dyno's for most dealerships, he wrote the book so to speak. He offers from time to time a free map on your bike in exchange for letting him use your bike and combination to develop a map for his business. I think he could probably come up with just about every possible combination and bike that's around and provide an accurate mapping for it to run at it's best without the need for a dyno tune. That is what I think is so great about his service , no dyno run for your bike and still the maximum results.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:39 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Thanks again TC,

John TN

Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

You bet

Old 07-22-2005, 09:55 PM
four5acp
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input, going to the site now. I will let you know how it works out.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:34 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Four5acp, you shouldn't have any trouble finding the maps. Go to Dynojets website ( www.dynojet.com ) and then to the PowerCommander page. Look on the right side of the page for 'map database' and download the map you need using the info you have on your PC module and bike setup.

What's funny is, I just found out today that I have a PowerCommander IIIr unit on my bike. I worked on my bike last night and left the switch in the accessories position. I went to start my bike and saw what I had done, and hoped that the bike would start. No such luck! So I took the seat off to get to the battery and found the module in front of the battery. Now i'm really puzzled as to why even the shop that worked on my bike to fix my oil leaks didn't notice or tell me about this. I can only guess that they assumed I already knew it. All I know about the bike is that it has a SE stageII kit and V&H slipons. That I can see, and the shop told me I had the stageII map on my ECM.

OK, now I go to Dynojet's website and download the loading software and the maps for my particular setup. Guess what? The PC IIIr unit has a sticker with the map# on it. and I checked it on their website and found out it was for my bike with a SE stageI kit. That's really screwed up! Why would someone put a StageI map on a StageII bike? Well after I get a serial cord for my laptop, I'm going to fix that big mixup. Maybe I'll get my bike to run like it's supposed to finally. Maybe it will run a little cooler too. I have noticed a few instances where the bike just didn't seem to run like I thought it should ( some flat performance in mid-range and occasionally will die when I slightly roll on the throttle at idle ).

If you don't have instructions for your unit, you should look at the animated tutorials. They will show you step by step what to do.

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me to understand the program.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:13 PM
four5acp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

ORIGINAL: John TN

TC,

John TN
John
I think you have to contact them for the maps and they tell you the charges and how to get them, I have never used one of his maps , but Matt has helped me out on a few ocasions and really knows his stuff. If you do have any problems with one of his maps, he does whatever is necessary to make it right. He is the instructor on dyno's for most dealerships, he wrote the book so to speak. He offers from time to time a free map on your bike in exchange for letting him use your bike and combination to develop a map for his business. I think he could probably come up with just about every possible combination and bike that's around and provide an accurate mapping for it to run at it's best without the need for a dyno tune. That is what I think is so great about his service , no dyno run for your bike and still the maximum results.
TC, I got a very interesting e-mail from Matt Gross at MMG Mangagement. I don't know anything about this guy or what he knows but if he is as good as you guys were saying it just might make you scratch your head. Let me know what you think. Here's the email...

"William,

I would like to thank you for your consideration in contacting us for assistance with your motorcycle. Unfortunately we here at MMG no longer support the Power commander as in we consider it to be obsolete and inadequate technology. MMG have seen to many failures and problems with the PC, including the demise of H-D ECM’s caused directly by the USB PC’s. So we have made a conscience decision to distance ourselves from the product.

I will ask that if you can tell us were you are located I can certainly see if we have a client in the area that might be able to help you out.

Once again thank you for contacting us we really do appreciate your interest.

Matt Gross MMG Management"

THanks guys

Quick Reply: Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.