Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:22 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.

That comes as news to me, Matt was very much into the use and Developement of the PC maps and from what he says must have been a very big issue to make him do an about face on it. You may want to contact him again to find out what his recommendations are for your application and if he does any mapping on them. He's a heck of a tech on FI in general.

I just sent off an email to Matt to find out what's going on there, will get back to you.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:28 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not the first time I've heard that the PC fries the ECM. Seemed kind of odd to me, but this has been brought up several times before on the forum. I wonder what your buddy Matt thinks of the SE module? We can't program that one, can we?

Mac

Old 07-23-2005, 11:52 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Mac

Are you speaking of the race tuner or the race fueler?

Old 07-24-2005, 01:13 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Papamte,

Before you upload a different map, retrieve the old one first and see which map it is. Just because the sticker says a map number, it is what came from the factory and may or may not be in it. Your bike could have been custom mapped already or have a different map than what the sticker says. Also when you retrieve the old map save it, you might want to use it again. Just some thoughts.

John TN

Old 07-24-2005, 01:21 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mac,

I just don't believe this is true. I ran a Power Commander on my old Vulcan 22k no problems, I have about 4k on my PC III usb, no problems so far. My buddy's wife has 20k on her RK with a PC III r with no problems. Not saying it can't happen, but I think this gives Harley an out when something goes wrong with the stock ECM or anything connected when you run a PC. IMO

TC let us know what Matt says on this, maybe he's worked out a deal with HD on promoting the SE RT, who knows.

John TN

Old 07-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

John, that was ging to be the first thing on my agenda before installing a new map. Like I have said before, my experience with this Ultra is an ongoing job of trying to find out all of what has been done to it. I keep on finding things myself continually. Oh well, that's water under the bridge now.

Now all I have to do is find that serial cable that I know I have somewhere. " Off to the hunt I go! "

Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: John TN

Mac,

I just don't believe this is true. I ran a Power Commander on my old Vulcan 22k no problems, I have about 4k on my PC III usb, no problems so far. My buddy's wife has 20k on her RK with a PC III r with no problems. Not saying it can't happen, but I think this gives Harley an out when something goes wrong with the stock ECM or anything connected when you run a PC. IMO

TC let us know what Matt says on this, maybe he's worked out a deal with HD on promoting the SE RT, who knows.

John TN
John
This doesn't sound right, Matt has put a LOT of time to map out various combinations for custom maps , and to just pull out the plug doesn't sound like him, but then again ya never know! You may have a point there John about working out a deal with HD. Ill let you know when I hear back from him.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:27 PM
four5acp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the input. I've never used a PC and was about to give her a try but now I'm in a holding pattern till I find out more info and also a place to get a map for my bike (see origional post). Local Dealer wants 250 bucks and 2 days to give me a custom map!!! I can think of alot of custom stuff for 250 (like money towards the seat I want and some chrome etc...). But the bottom line is performance is my number 1 priority and if giving the dealer the 250 (provided I am comfortable using the PC) is what it's going to take then that's what I'll do.

Thanks again TC you've been very helpful...

Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
wingnut79
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to have a bad feeling about my PC purchase now. I've already posted on the problem I'm having with the check engine light staying on for about 5 seconds after the bike is running. The DIAG code comes up P1004 which is listed as "System Relay Contacts Closed EFI". With the PC unplugged I get the same DIAG code. Looks like my stock ECM may be fried. Guess I'll pull the PC, remove the Stage I, and take it to the dealer and claim it under warranty. Great...

KB

Old 07-26-2005, 03:27 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Be interesting what they say and do.

Quick Reply: Power commander map needed Stage II heads, cams etc.