Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Pump??? Whoda thought!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011 | 08:27 AM
Breezybob
|
Novice
Default Fuel Pump??? Whoda thought!

I have a 2007 Dyna Low Rider (FXDL) with 30K miles. In June 2011 I installed the Power Commander III along with new Vance & Hines slip-ons and new hi-flow air filter. All three purchased as a "kit" from Fuel Moto. (Great bunch of guys) After the installation I fired it up and it immediately started and seemed to be running perfectly. In fact, it seemed to be running better than ever. A test ride confirmed that all was well and there was noticably more power. I was very happy with the new enhanced performance and the new sound from the slip-ons. The great running part lasted about 3 months. I then began to notice that the idle was a bit erratic, fluxtuating between 900 and 1100 RPM. I paid it no mind. Over the next week or so, it got worse. The idle got more erratic (800-1200) and now it began stalling. I called Fuel Moto and with their guidance I set up my laptop and checked the zero throttle setting and found that the PC3
showed 3% throttle even when no throttle was being applied. Using the PC software, and instructions from the Fuel Moto tech, I reset the zero position and the bike seemed to go back to normal operation. This lasted about a week, then the irratic idle started up again. Now, it also included a "popping" back through the intake followed by stalling. The engine would not run without some throttle being applied forcing 2000 rpms or more. Once the engine was warm, it seemed to get better, but only slightly. It would still pop back through the intake then stall without a small amount of throttle. I hooked up the laptop to the PCIII and rechecked the zero throttle setting. It showed zero (normal) so there was no adjustment to be made. I checked the plugs and even though they looked clean, I replaced them. Still no improvement.

I called Fuel Moto again and after some discussion we agreed that the best approach was to remove the PCIII. I reluctantly did this and to my surprise the symptoms remained. The bike still would not idle smoothly and there was a hesitation when accelerating up from cruising speed. I was really bummed, but at least I thought that the local HD shop would be able to figure it out. I took it into the dealer for the repair. The dealer said that the symptoms could be caused by a number of things and that they would check it out. They mentioned that it was also possible that the previous installation of the PCIII may have caused damage to the ECM and I needed to be prepared for that possibility. I was thinking that I was being set up for the big-buck repair. Three days later the dealer called to say it was all
fixed. It turned out to be the fuel pump and system relay. Both items were replaced (under warranty) and it was ready for pickup. No big-buck repair! Yeah! Only my $50 deductable. I picked it up, drove it 35mi home and it was running like new. I'm very happy. I have not re-installed the PCIII yet, but plan to do it soon.

I never would have related the symptoms to the fuel pump and/or system relay. I suspected some type of timing or other electrical problem (not fuel related). These new machines are much more complex and need sofisticated tools and expertiese to keep them running properly. That's one of the reasons why a forum like this one has so much value.

That leads me to my questions. Based on what I've been reading in this forum, it seems that having my bike dyno tuned is the next logical step. The PCIII came pre-loaded with the map for my bike's configuration with the slip-ons and hi-flow intake, but I'm reading that some tweek tuning may still be required. Can anyone recommend a dyno shop in the central NJ area? What is a typical cost to dyno-tune? Do you really think its necessary? I would hate to spend hundreds just to find out that there is no improvement to be had.

Thanks,
Breezybob

Old 10-26-2011 | 12:38 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

The FI fuel pumps are high pressure so any loss of pressure can make it run like crap. Had to replace mine after 15K because of a hole in the line inside the tank. It was kind of obvious since you could hear the gas pissing against the tank.
If the bike is running fine you might pick up a few hp with a dyno tune. Personally I don't think it's worth the money, especially since having a dyno does not necessarily mean you know what to do with it.

Old 10-27-2011 | 03:23 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default My friend has a 08 Buell that had the same issue

and it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Must be lemons from a supplier.