Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tmax help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmax help

I had an issue with the battery, the negative batt cable broke at the terminal.... After replacing that and a battery the Tmax was acting weird, not wanting to start well and its like there was no high idle at a cold startup!!!
Started over by rebooting, or destroying all learned fuel offsets and idle control learned settings. Checking for new firmware and basemaps, Loaded a new basemap and the bike still has a rough time starting, i rode it and got some tuning points changed with auto tuning, updated the learned points to the basemap, then ran Automapping,,, Rode the bike in to work and the idle was erratic, very low initial idle at startup, the bike seemed to run fine when on the freeway, but when getting to work the idle was higher than normal....
Im friggin frustrated, the tmax is a great unit but i guess im just not savy enough with computers to figure this shiite out...
Im ready to pull the Tmax and get a SE race tuner and have a (PRO) tune the bike and be done with it........

Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

The idle problem could be a dirty IAC, try cleaning it if you haven't already.
Did you initialize when you reloaded the new map? Anyway, here is the process for a new map installation that Zippers sent me. Just in case you missed something.
• Go to EFI Maps > EFI Map Listings and Definitions.
• Select the desired map by double clicking anywhere on the definition.
• Select “Load Base Map” from the Base Map Name Encoding window.
• Go to File > Write Module Maps and Settings.
• Go to Map Editing > Clear Learned Fuel Adjustments.
• Go to Map Editing > Clear Learned Idle Control Adjustments (this step does not apply to Throttle By Wire systems).
• In the Tuning Maps tree, go to Module Configuration > Basic Settings to confirm the correct Speedo-Cal value for your year and model.

Initializing the Module

A. For ThunderMax systems on bikes with cable throttle control

• With kill switch in run position, cycle the ignition switch 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, 3 times.
• Start engine and let warm up to operating temp without touching throttle.

B. For ThunderMax systems on bikes with Throttle By Wire control

• Turn the main power and rocker switch ON for 20 seconds uninterrupted.
• Cycle the main switch OFF and ON, and then start the engine.
• Let the motorcycle idle on its own for 15 seconds and shut off.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

Proceedure done excactly that way.... I also updated Firmware & basemaps....
Talked to George from Zippers this am and he wanted me to send him the map, through tech support, will do that,
Also i'll tear the IAC motor out and clean it. Will also look for leaks at the throttle body..
Its just strange that the high/low idle issue started after the battery issue, im guessing the Tmax is pissed off!!!!

Thanks Nevil

Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Let us know how it works out. I know that if you do anything to the control unit you're supposed to remove the ECM fuse. Otherwise they say you could damage the unit. Obviously you couldn't anticipate the broken cable, but I've unplugged mine a couple of times without pulling the fuse and it still works.
You don't have to remove the IAC to clean it, just spray some throttle body or carb cleaner on it and cycle the ignition a couple of times.
Good luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

Cool, I'll do that....
Im gonna just go through the intake and tighten stuff up. I'll send the map info to Zippers and see what they find...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

Its lookin like the AIC is bad, theres a test to check it...
Pull off ac and look into the AIC hole on the upper side of the throttle body, run switch on, and cycle the ign switch, the AIC plunger should move in and back out!!! Mine doesnt move at all... A buddy has one off an old TB so i can install it and make sure its bad...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

If that's your problem, you can get a new IAC for around $40, so that's not too bad.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

I talked to a Tech at the dealer my buddy works at, he said the IAC the valve should move in & out everytime the ign switch is cycled... So i'll get a new valve and hopefully my two week nightmare will be OVER......

Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 AM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

Please reinstall your factory ECM back in the bike and see if your IAC cycles.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLHP1034ME
Please reinstall your factory ECM back in the bike and see if your IAC cycles.
Its possible that the Tmax IAC driver modual is bad, but i have access to a newer IAC motor to try out... I'll start there and hopefully it takes care of it....

Quick Reply: Tmax help