Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Smoked a new Batt

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked a new Batt

Two months ago i put in a new battery, things have great until a week or two ago, bike died when riding, neg battery cable wires pulled out of the terminal,
The bikes charging system works fine, but if i dont ride it for a couple days the battery is dead, I can charge it up and get it running and its cool, But again dead after a day or two, i put it on the battery tender and it charges but the tender wont shut off indicating a full charge, DEAD cell in the battery?
I check all the connection on the bike, im getting a good ground,
Pretty sure its not the stator and rectifier because the bike puts out 13-14 volts when running....

Any thoughts?????

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

Little update, the battery tender finally went green, after 27 hours....
Question is, if the battery had a dead cell would the Tender show a full charge??

Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PHA-Q
Little update, the battery tender finally went green, after 27 hours....
Question is, if the battery had a dead cell would the Tender show a full charge??

If it truly had a dead cell, it will show less than 12vdc.

Next time, put a dead battery on a charger. Then take it off and put the tender on it. There is a difference. Charger isn't 'smart' like a tender and will overcharge, but it also will have enough *** to kick the chemical reaction going again.

Once you have battery in and you have ridden it... check to see you have over 13vdc while running at right at 12vdc when turned off. If both voltages are good, I figure you should be good.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

My buddy from the dealer said he would replace the battery.... I will see how it is after a Fresh battery is in there....
Sucks when the battery goes down cause it screws up the Tmax..... Corrupts the map and i need to hook it back out and start fresh again...