Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question about changing tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 AM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Question about changing tuner

Hello everyone,

I purchased a 2007 street glide used and it was tuned with a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. The tune on it sucks, the bike runs lean, there's popping on decel, and just doesn't run great. The bike currently has an exhaust and higher flow air filter, but I plan on changing some of these items for different manufacturers\designs. In reading a ton on these plug in ECM piggy back tunning devices (like the PCV), it seems that is the way I will want to to go, especially if I buy it from someone like Fuel Moto with their great support system.

My question though is if I will need to return the ECM to stock, using the SERT, or does the PCV work just fine with whatever map is loaded on there?

If I do want to go back to a stock ECM map, could I do that myself if I have the SERT and the CD and cables?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Ryder10
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

screaming eagle race tuner is the best thing you can use. those other systems are viruses that trick your ecm into doing what it wants. the sert actually changes the values. the problem isnt the sert its whos setting the values for you take it to a good tuner and youll be more than happy. save your money and upgrade for some cams or a great 2 into 1 pipe like d&d in my opinion the greatest preformer out there, at least all the tuning i have done they consistantly put out the best numbers, and it sounds pucking fantastic.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 AM
henrybennett
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

An interesting opinion & contrary to most of the supporters of various add-on ECM tuners.

I have an SE Stage 2 with V&H big shots. It was bought that way & I don't know if the previous owner had it tuned or dyno'd, but it runs very well. Starts easily, pulls away cleanly, little or no popping on decel & reasonable mpg however I ride it.

It's always tempting to fiddle but I reckon I should probably just spend my time riding rather than obsessing over the ECM map & getting the last 1% out of it. Saves a lot of the "hard-earned" too

What say you?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the bike retuned by someone who knows what they are doing and you will be fine. You are better off with what you have. I have a SERT and works great no decell popping runs fine. Doesn't matter which tunner you have if done wrong you get poor results

Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

To answer your question, the PC makes changes to the current MAP that is on the bike. So in theory you can keep your ECM like it is and the PC would work BUT, you wouldn't be able to just use a canned MAP from Fuel Moto, the MAP would have to be custom (via dyno tune or autotune) to make the adjustments to your already adjusted MAP. If you wanted to put your ECM back to stock, you would have to take it to a dealer and have them install a stock MAP with digital tech II software.

Now on to the other side, IMO the Super Tuner you haev is better than the PC (opinion is mine, if anyone disagrees that's cool, I just hope this doesn't turn into a big tuner debate) Anyways, can you find someone near you that can tune what you already have?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big question is: Did you get the dongle and the CD with the software to communicate with the ECM?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good tech can get a good tune with any device out there. A competent tuning pro can use your SERT and re program the bike to set things right. In the process he may find another issue (i.e. vacuum leak)

If you don't like that route, and the 2007 has O2 sensors, then think about trading in the SERT for the TTS tuning kit and do the tuning yourself. That would set you back about $100 and some sweat equity.

You will find complaint like yours for just about any tool or tuning device out there. Short of an add on module hardware problem, in the right hands any stock or stage I bike can be made to run well enough with any named brand tuning.

The PCV module assumes a certain map was loaded into the ECU and works off of it. You need a well known map loaded into the ECU and have the PCV map programmed with that map in mind, or your results are unpredictable.

There are a few ways to get a well know map back into your ECU, perhaps use your SERT to program one of the canned SERT maps.... but check with fuelmoto for sure.

My opinion is that you need to find a competent tuning pro, your problem is not a tool thing.

Last edited by ColdCase; 10-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not so much trying to squeeze that little bit of horsepower more out fo the bike, I'm just trying to fix the issues with the tons of popping on decel and the fact that it's running so lean. I guess I'll just wait til I get my new air filter, then take the bike to a reputable tuner (anyone know any on Long Island, NY?) and have him use the SERT and give it the right tune it needs.

I have the actuale SERT dongle, and the CD, but no cables, so I guess I'll see if the tunning shop has the cables, or if not, I'll get a set. I guess in the end, now that I already have the SERT, a dyno tunning will end up costing me just as much (or less) than if I bought one of those auto-tunning piggyback or replacement ECM's.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saying that, if there is something wrong with the bike; bad ground, vacuum leak, exhaust leak, poorly matched components, plugged fuel filter, none of the products are going to work well regardless. You may have ended up going to a pro to sort things out anyway... maybe not... but starting from where you are now with SERT in hand, having a pro look at it should be the better approach. A shop that routinely tunes should have the cables, it is not unusual for a dealer to only give you a module.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mglax13
I'll just wait til I get my new air filter, then take the bike to a reputable tuner (anyone know any on Long Island, NY?) and have him use the SERT and give it the right tune it needs.
http://www.jdscycleworks.com/aboutus.htm Not that far and worth the trip.

Quick Reply: Question about changing tuner