Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Identifying Wires/Connections

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
jwyrem
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying Wires/Connections

I'm having a hard time correlating the parts/tubes/wires that are highlighted in the pictures that I've attached here with the diagrams that are in the Clymer manual. Anyone able to help me figure out what I'm looking at?

With regard to background, my bike quit on me (see posting here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...ng-needed.html) and I'm poking around trying to figure out why. I called the dealership today and they recommended that I check all connections around the battery.

In looking around, I found that there was a tube (no visible wire inside) that comes from under the console, down past the battery on the left side of the bike, then ... kinda stops. It was really dirty and hanging down by the belt when I found it. There is a bolt that doesn't seem to be doing anything that is in a logical position to be connected to this tube ... any idea what this is?

Pictures are attached.

Attached Thumbnails Identifying Wires/Connections-mysterious_tube.jpg   Identifying Wires/Connections-mysterious_wire_end.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
gtnot
Cruiser

The "tube" you mention sounds like the fuel overflow line that begins near the gas cap, although mine goes to the right side of the battery and down to the bottom of the frame so it can drain on the ground.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
jwyrem
Novice

Another guy suggested the same thing. I over filled the tank once (ok, twice) and swear it dripped out by the horn (by my left toe). This tube seemed to terminate further back, such that it would drip more like on my passenger's toe (though inside by the belt).

(If I ever had passengers)