Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Coil Blows ECM Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 AM
clcates
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Blows ECM Fuse?

Folks,

I am having an interesting problem on my 2003 FLHRI. Whenever I turn on the ignition I blow the 15A ECM fuse. This results in a constant CEL. It will turn over but will not start. I was checking for spark from the coil and noticed that the fuse will not blow with the coil disconnected. I have no schematics (yet) to reference. I can't begin to imagine how these two components (fuse/coil) are related.
The fuse should only supply operating voltage to the ECM. Is anyone aware of another connection between the two?

Thanks for any input.

Chip in Germany

Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Blown ECM Fuse

I have a 2000FLHI . The ecm should take a 5 amp fuse . When my pc 3 went bad it blew the ecm fuse and it did the same thing you mention . Yes any thing that has to do with the running of our bikes will run through the ECM. Im thinking you have a burnt componant. I guss a stator or shorted voltage regulator could cause the ECM fuse to blew. I have a clymer harley davidson manual for 99 thru 2003 it has good wireing prints. Good luck post us what you found ride save brother,

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/6ABA6E073E6F4E4ABD0483C89898145B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
clcates
6th Gear

Thanks Turbo54,

I have the fuse in hand and it is indeed a 15A'er. I don't think I misread the cover but I saw ECM in that position. It is just to the right of the ECM. In the fuse block on the left (outside to in) is ECM, Fuel Pump, and Spare. The starter fuse is just to the right in the same block. It is a blue colored ATO style fuse marked 15A.

Also, aside from the V&H Oval slip ons and SE Breather Kit; my bike is stock. No Power Commander involved yet. It was remapped new at the dealer with stage one parameters...

Old 11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

The ECM fuse in my '02 FLHTCUI is a 15A also. Sounds like you must have a dead short somewhere, sorta weird that it doesn't occur w/the coil unplugged. Let us know what you find out...

VicW.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep checking my prints 15 amp fuse for 02 ECM but that power go's to the injectors from the coil power ground system relay. May be a injector wire is broken history of that I hear

Old 11-27-2006, 12:10 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECM controls the coil. If you have a bad coil or wiring problem, it could blow the ECM fuse.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:48 PM
clcates
6th Gear

Thanks All,

I'm in Germany and have a coil on order. I sure hope the ECM is not the problem. I have an extended warranty on my 2003FLHRI but the German Stealership will not recognize it.

I'll post my findings when I know...

p.s. Does anyone know what a normal coil should read in resistance across the winding?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM
clcates
6th Gear

Thanks for the tip Turbo54....

I'll check the injector wiring for shorts since you mentioned a history of it.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Sux that they won't recognize your warranty. Did they say why? Sounds like something MOCO should be aware of...

VicW.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
clcates
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Sleeps In Trees

Sux that they won't recognize your warranty. Did they say why? Sounds like something MOCO should be aware of...

VicW.
Thought about that VicW... MOCO website only provides a phone # to call...no email. Stealership claims they will only do warranty work for 2 years after initial purchase. I dunno....

Quick Reply: Coil Blows ECM Fuse?