Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How To Find Current File in ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How To Find Current File in ECM?

Howdy,

Been a while since i've been on here, working on TJ re-build.

My question is related to the file currently loaded by the SERT in my ECM on my 2004 Road Glide. It had been installed after engine upgrade and supposedly fine tuned by my local H-D shop.

I want to find out what is loaded and then modify. I have the cables and have read the Instruction Manual, but never found out how to view current file.

Thanks In Advance,

Tinkerer,

Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Unless you have the file you are sol.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Ouch!

Not good.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Steve 2012
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to make sure I understand this. I buy the SERT, Have HD dyno the bike. Then I can't downlaod the map they install to my computer? Is that so we can't see what they did?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 2012
Trying to make sure I understand this. I buy the SERT, Have HD dyno the bike. Then I can't downlaod the map they install to my computer? Is that so we can't see what they did?
No. You can't buy the SERT anymore, it is now the TTS. The HD one is the SESPT and with that one if all the updates are done, a copy of the map installed in the bike is stored in the vci. The ideal thing is with any tuning device is to make sure they give you a copy of the finished map and then store it in a couple of different places. If you are using the TTS make sure they also download, save and give you a copy of the original map that is in the bike prior to tuning. You will not be able to see or modify it but it is important to have a copy.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 10-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The current map in the ECU is encrypted and wrapped in a security blanket. I don't know of any product that can unwrap it so you can view the details and make adjustments. A couple products, like TTS, allow you to save it in case you want to go back to that tune someday.

So you need to get a hold of the file the tuner used before it was finalized and loaded into the ECU. Some tuners keep them, some tuners give them to you, most are reluctant as they view the results as intellectual property... similar to you buying a DVD movie... you can use it for your personal use, but that's about it.

The file extension within the bike is probably .mte. Editable files would have something like a .mt7 or .mt8 extension, depending on year and type of tune. You need the .mt# file that was the source of your .mte file for your tune.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

If I have read the SERT Manual correctly, I can still choose a file to replace the dealer installed map.

The SERT CD I received has a canned map similar to my bike's mods.

Basically, the sealer map sucks and I am not going to run over there and drop another $300.00 for a dynotune

Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can replace the map with the SERT, just not edit the one installed in the ECU. During the process of loading the replacement map, it will get the same security blanket within the ECU. If you want to edit it, you will need to edit the canned map and then replace the ECU map again...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Much!!

The SERT was installed by the dealer the upgraded the motor. No copy given at tome of pickup.

The bike was taken to my local dealer to fine tune and dyno, so I have no idea what he did as he was not evidently able to utilize the first SERT map installed.

Never was happy with the second tune. They did not give a copy of any map they put in, if any other was installed.

Again, thanks for all replies

Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Dynojet Power Vision can read the tune from the ECM and download it in an editable format as long as it is still in the normal HD format. I believe that TTS MT8 files are in a proprietary format but normal HD files are readable by the PowerVision.

Quick Reply: How To Find Current File in ECM?