Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuner Help Please??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner Help Please??

I have a 2009 street bob, it's torn down doing my build. Deweys doing the street port and 103, I have Andrews 54h cams, rinehart 2 into 1 and screaming eagle heavy breather installed. It will be 10:1 when finished. I've been using the pcv before now. I have not one complaint about it. I had it tuned at blue springs Harley and they did a great job. No decel pop, starts fine, runs great in all seasons, altitude, gets 35-45 mpg depending on me.
However, I know these are famous last words but wen it goes together this round I'm done with power mods. I've searched the forums reading tts vs pcv vs sert and my head is spinning. Here is my point......
I own the pcv, it's served me well, it cost's $200.00 to be tuned.
To buy the race tuner and have it tuned I'm at 840.00. Is it worth it? Am I going to say WOW I'm so glad I did that?
In the end it's timing and fuel. I understand the override vs rewrite, the O2 vs not. What I'm not sure of is the extra that I'm missing. I guess my question is.....why should I upgrade?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't tuning it yourself, then choose the one your tuner wants.

My 2011 Blackline has the SERT and I can tune it myself since it has O2 sensors. (I got the SERT for less than $500 off of eBay.)

My 2002 RK has a PCIII, and has to be tuned by my Indy. I had to get it re-tuned lately because my header cracked and I put on a 2-1 pipe. I sure wasn't happy that I had to buy a new PCIII to replace my old one (that was working just fine) because they upgraded their system and didn't support my RS232 interface any more ...

I prefer the SERT that changes the stored map, instead of slapping on an add-on like a PC. My PCIII never failed, but there is that potential with an add-on.

Last edited by poppavein; 09-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just about any tuning device will get you WOT power, that's pretty easy. The PCs are great for making power for the least amount of cash. If the one you have still works, use it.

Its the little things, however, that may drive you to something more sophisticated, things like smooth running and power delivery, throttle response, part throttle roll ons.. good sound... fuel economy.. intangibles. The wow factor, however, is subjective and based on your seat of the pants calibration. You will read anywhere from an ehh to a wow here. If you get a kick out of a well tuned well, oiled machine, you will appreciate the more sophisticated tuner kits like TTS and SESPT, add a competent tuner tech, even better.

But for WOT power, you won't need to go there.

If you got all that money into your rig for performance, why would you skimp on tuning?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys, I don't mind spending the money, Im just curious if its worth it? what I am questioning is if the timing and fuel are both right what else is there? like are the tables smaller on a better tuner? a finer tuner as it were? I cant do it myself so I am at the mercy of my tuner. he only does the race tuner or pc3, pc5.