Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine light/codes? 2000 Police Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 AM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light/codes? 2000 Police Bike

Hey all,

I think I misposted this in the wrong forum yesterday.
Yeah seems more a tech or sensor problem.

Have a 2000 FLHTPI.
Cycle shack exhaust, K&N filter and Powercommander.
Bought the bike 10 months ago with 24,000 miles.

A couple weeks ago, started running a little funny, engine light is out at idle but comes on with throttle. 99% of the time the light is staying on steady if I am not at idle. Once in a while will go in and out.

Covered the basics, new plugs and ignition wires, fresh fuel, etc.

I found the procedure for pulling codes for a 2000 to 2003. It is not showing me codes. So I do not know if the engine light indicates a code thrown or not but I do notice bike is not running right when it is on.

Is this typical of a certain sensor?
I like to do my own work on everything.
Any ideas? Clues?

Times like this make me miss my S&S carb bikes!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

pull the air filter off to expose the throttle body. twitst the throttle to open the butterfly valves and expose a hole in the top of the throttle body about the size of a small eraser. Spray carb cleaner in there cycling the ignition switch on and off (do not start) until black stops coming out of it. Spray carb cleaner into the throttle body as well and use a toothbrush to clean it out. Once the black stops coming out, spray a shot of wd-40 up there and into the throttle body to lube it back up. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and start it up. It will be hard to start the first time but it will start.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbust
Hey all,

I think I misposted this in the wrong forum yesterday.
Yeah seems more a tech or sensor problem.

Have a 2000 FLHTPI.
Cycle shack exhaust, K&N filter and Powercommander.
Bought the bike 10 months ago with 24,000 miles.

A couple weeks ago, started running a little funny, engine light is out at idle but comes on with throttle. 99% of the time the light is staying on steady if I am not at idle. Once in a while will go in and out.

Covered the basics, new plugs and ignition wires, fresh fuel, etc.

I found the procedure for pulling codes for a 2000 to 2003. It is not showing me codes. So I do not know if the engine light indicates a code thrown or not but I do notice bike is not running right when it is on.

Is this typical of a certain sensor?
I like to do my own work on everything.
Any ideas? Clues?

Times like this make me miss my S&S carb bikes!
#1 Consider review of voltage at battery off/ then cranking /then idle/ then above idle.
#2 Consider checking the positive/ negative connection at battery and at other end.
#3 review placement/connection of stator plug and connections at voltage regulator.
#4 any chance that something was changed/added/removed just before this started that could cause resistance on an electrical line (lights ??).

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
fishbust
Tourer

Thanks so far guys.

I actually did spray the throttle body this weekend. It was nasty in there.
But after reading the replies, I just did it again and used the whole can and did a better job of it this time.

I will bring home my Fluke DMM from work and check voltages tomorrow.

No new work recently and I did the intake/slip-ons/powercommander back in March and no problems all this while. I uploaded the map to the powercommander again just to make sure it didn't go brain dead. It lights up the way it should.

The bike does seem to be running progressively worse, so if I can't pinpoint the problem this week, I will drop it at the dealer before I wind up stuck on the side of the road.

Located the Blue Streak diagnostic tool online but they are too expensive to justify. The EFI bikes are not chronically problematic enough to need one, thankfully.

Thanks again, will continue working on this.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

fishbust. pull that power commander off and run the bike without it to test. Just because it lights up the way it's supposed to doesn't mean it isn't causing a problem.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check 2000 codes. Ignition switch on and off three times and then on and leave on. Wait for engine light to blink fast then pause then blink slowly. Count the blinks and write them down. A second slow blink will be the second digit. Again rapid blinking. If there is a second code the slow blinks will be different. Write them down. If the code repeats it is the only trouble code. Post your results.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 AM
fishbust
Tourer
Default Thx to ultranutz & ajayrk

Now we are getting somewhere!!!!

The posted procedure I found that involves using a jumper for 00 to 03 does not work for me. I suppose it is possible my 2000 has a 1999 ECM or something depending on date of manufacture or maybe the cop bike has a couple more differences in wiring or maybe someone snipped a wrong wire when they were decommissioning the bike from police service, who knows.

But ajayrk's method with 3 times ignition switch DOES work on my 2000 FLHTPI.

What I get after the fast blinks is 1 slow blink, which indicates a 'current' condition ECM flash error, then a pause and 6 more slow blinks, indicating a 'current' condition ECM serial data open/high. If I read it wrong, then the code would be 16, which indicates 'current' condition wrong password but I believe it is 2 codes, a 1 and a 6. The 1 and the 6 are repeating, indicating no more codes than those.

Tomorrow I am going to try running the bike without the powercommander and even if it doesn't fix the problem I owe you guys a couple beers!

Thx.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

There is no code 1 or 6 in my 2000 manual. Code 16 is Battery Positive Voltage.

A code 16 is set if the ECM sees a battery positive voltage less than 10.0 volts when the engine speed is greater than 1400 RPM. A code 16 is also set when the voltage exceeds 15.5 volts. A high voltage condition is usually caused by a shorted stator (check when hot) or a faulty regulator.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 AM
fishbust
Tourer

Originally Posted by ajayrk
There is no code 1 or 6 in my 2000 manual. Code 16 is Battery Positive Voltage.

A code 16 is set if the ECM sees a battery positive voltage less than 10.0 volts when the engine speed is greater than 1400 RPM. A code 16 is also set when the voltage exceeds 15.5 volts. A high voltage condition is usually caused by a shorted stator (check when hot) or a faulty regulator.
Good grief.

Well, this is where I got my list from........

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...s-00-03-a.html

I have 2000 owners manual and went out and bought all the supplemental police manuals that cover the things not on civilian bikes but have yet to acquire the book that has the codes and honestly I didn't know it was out there outside of a dealership shop. Maybe you could post the code list up as a sticky in the help yourself sub-forum?

Well, I brought my meter home from work last night. Will check my voltages today.
My gauges have been unreliable from day 1.

Will keep posting my findings (and not findings), etc., until the situation is solved, to help others.

Thanks again ajayrk.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:30 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

Those codes are for Delphi fuel injection. Your bike has the Magneti Merelli fuel injection. Code numbers are different.

Look on page 9-18.

1999-2001 Police bikes have a 45 amp system with a weak stator which usually fails. The stator has been upgraded with larger wiring and better insulation. I bet the stator is failing.

Quick Reply: Engine light/codes? 2000 Police Bike