Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No Knock Retard Data in SERT Data Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Islander
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Knock Retard Data in SERT Data Mode

Pulled some data runs this morning using the SERT (v4.5.3). Ran the 04 DWGI from 0 mph up to 85 mph and also pulled steady RPM data in varying gears.

On examination of the data from the runs, both front and rear knock retards are flat line throughout the duration of the data run.

I doubt the bike is that well tuned, since I just completed 95" upgrade with Andrews 26G cams and am running a modified canned Sage II calibration file.

Shouldn't I see some kind of knock retard activity?

Already verified that the "Knock Control Enabled" checked in the tuning constants for the last calibration file loaded into the ECM.

The bike runs pretty well, but there is some low rpm hesitation, and some slight missing at idle and during steady low rpm in all gears.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: No Knock Retard Data in SERT Data Mode

doesn't the ECM somehow measure spark knock with the spark plugs?
maybe it's the type of spark plug you're using?

Old 11-23-2006, 02:43 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

on My 07 I will see some Knock retard at times not often most of the time its flat. Its possible you are rich or timing is retarded into a safe zone. Advance timing by 3 degrees and try again. Then try reduceing VE table to remove fuel. If you see some knock go back.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Islander
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Uno Deuce

doesn't the ECM somehow measure spark knock with the spark plugs?
maybe it's the type of spark plug you're using?

Hey, UD.

Yep. I'm thinking the same thing.

Presumably, the HD ignition circuit uses ion sensing to measure shock wave fronts in the cylinders through the plugs and wires.

I'm using SE Tri-Platinum plugs and SE wires, and I'm betting that is killing the ion sensing capabilities. I read a thread similar to this on here the other day I think.

I'll clean, set, and reinstall the OEM plugs and wires and pull some more data tomorrow.

I guess that's a good lab test for the Platinum plugs. Since Knock Retard is an added protection for the motor, one might deduce that Tri-Platinum plugs are "bad".

<insert forthcoming flames here>

Old 11-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

The first thing I thought when I read the title to this thread was, "We shouldn't be making fun of the mentally challenged" here on the forum, I better go check it out."

Old 11-23-2006, 04:48 AM
Islander
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

The first thing I thought when I read the title to this thread was, "We shouldn't be making fun of the mentally challenged" here on the forum, I better go check it out."
hehehehe I know.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Islander
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

on My 07 I will see some Knock retard at times not often most of the time its flat. Its possible you are rich or timing is retarded into a safe zone. Advance timing by 3 degrees and try again. Then try reduceing VE table to remove fuel. If you see some knock go back.
Thanks. I may try that if I don't see a change with the plugs/wires.

It feels and sounds like it's misfiring slightly, so I expected to see some knocking retard in the data. From 0 to 85 mph in two data runs, with steady crusies in 3, 4 and 5 gears......no retards.
The power is definitely there, though. It feels like it will jump from underneath me in the low-mid rpms. Just want to get the idle and cruising smoothed out. It may be more of an AFR issue than a timing issue. I think I'm still a bit lean, though I added 0.3~0.4 to all the AFR cells of the canned calibration (105HD019).
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

2004 FXDWGI
SE Stage II 95 ci
SE A/C
Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Samson Big Guns II 2-1/4" Drag Pipes

Old 11-23-2006, 10:23 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: Islander
The power is definitely there, though. It feels like it will jump from underneath me in the low-mid rpms. Just want to get the idle and cruising smoothed out. It may be more of an AFR issue than a timing issue. I think I'm still a bit lean, thought I added 0.3~0.4 to all the AFR cells of the canned calibration (105HD019).
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

2004 FXDWGI
SE Stage II 95 ci
SE A/C
Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Samson Big Guns II 2-14" Long Slasher Drag Pipes
You might be lean in some areas and rich in others, thats a pretty mild cam. I'll bet you could have dropped the canned map in without even changing it and found it fit pretty well. When I got my build back they had installed the canned stage 2 map with only a couple fuel tweeks in the higher throttle and RPM ranges. When I was able to put it on the dyno all he had to do was touch up the mid to upper end, nothing radical. My dad is running a 95" 204 cam build in his 06 Ultra and the untouched canned Stage 2 map, the bike doesn't run hot, ping or decel pop. I'm betting your knock retard activity is a true reading.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:37 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Me too........when I saw retard I thought this was a thread for me.........[8D]

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

Old 11-23-2006, 02:29 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran a SERT data collection and see that the knock retard is a flat 0 for both front & rear the whole time. I had the dealer tune the ECM last week and didn't ask for his file so I don't know what he set it at, or even if he has the knock sensor turned on or not. This is a 2007 Deluxe with K & N filter and V & H Big Shot Staggereds. I have the factory plugs so I can't think of why I'm not reading any knock retard. Everything else seems to read OK. I ran the RPMs pretty high under load so I expected to see some retard. Any thoughts? Can't call the dealer today to ask (Turkey Day). This was my first Data Collect run. It was pretty interesting to see my laptop wired to my passenger seat. I kept looking back to see that it didn't fall off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17245/FC06E007ADA044D780E328806EF0C655.jpg[/IMG]