Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

I recently installed the K & N high flow air filter along with Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggereds on my 07 Deluxe. My dealer did the work but they don't have a dynometer. I gave them my SERT and they said they could get it pretty close using some canned map with a little bit of tuning. When I rode the bike home it ran great but had a little bit of decel popping. Not a lot but definitely noticeable. When I asked them about it they said it's very hard to tune all popping out of this setup. So I emailed my Vance & Hines techie and he replied the following:

The decel popping ? Should be able tune that out with the SERT on the DYNO.
Not something the ECU/ECM is programmed to handle. Good luck and safe
riding !

So now I have a dyno tune scheduled for this Sunday with another dealer who has a dyno. He said they can fix it. I was thinking of playing with the SERT myself but it sounds like the dyno is the quickest, if not the cheapest solution. Anyone else have similar experience?

[IMG]local://upfiles/17245/5041A2FE747B4D8CBF30A1341E78D9A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

How much is your time worth? That is the question.

Many days trying to DIY, or an hour and a Hundy & 1/2 to dyno tune. I think your gut has told you to do the dyno...listen to your gut.

I do not agree with anyone that says the popping can not be tuned out. It's all in the patience and knowledge of the tuner in the Decel map tuning.

Please report back Monday after it's done.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:56 PM
RKC2001
Cruiser

I have a different set up but had the same problem with popping. The dyno tune took the decel popping out and the AFR is right on the money. My bike runs great and I have dyno numbers on the bike.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

If it can be tuned out with a dyno it can be tuned out with just a laptop and open road. For those that enjoy working on their bike AND have some tuning skills I'd say go for it. If you fall more in the catagory of someone who just want to ride or your spare time is too valuable to wrench and tune, have it dynoed.

The only disadvantage to dyno tuning to a DIYer is the cost and pride. I think all will agree its the fastest solution to SERT tuning. However a lot of DIYers believe (myself included) fine tuning is about making adjustments and then hitting the road to see how it really effects the bike. There is some pride in having 100% control of all changes to your bike as you improve it.

Bikers have been making HP long before dynos were readily available....it just took longer and there was some trial and error involved.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

If it can be tuned out with a dyno it can be tuned out with just a laptop and open road.
It's easier in Data Mode with a brave passenger or saddlebags though

Old 11-21-2006, 04:08 PM
marty44
Tourer

I'm willing to give the SERT a try. I have a 3 laptops, one of the older ones has a serial port so I can use that one to hook up my SERT. Maybe I need to read the manual a bit more but I'm wondering about the following. If I make changes, can I go back to my current mapping? Won't I need the current table files stored on my laptop to reset to current table settings. Since my dealer did the last retune, can I get them from him? It doesn't look like the SERT can read the current table values, only change them. Am I missing something here?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:28 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

I asked the same question and it appears that it can only download so It would be best to get your download from the dealer. Otherwise use the stage 1 down load increase the entire Close Loop Bias table and start from there. Lots of good info in the manual it helps to read it a second time.
I stuff the laptop in the saddle bag. It will record over 30 minutes worth of data so just start recording and stuff it in the saddlebag no need to hurry. I use the throttle and speed to mark data in the log. I either run 55mph steady for a bit before making a load test/decell or whatever, then search the log for a speed of 55mph. Or if I want to collect dyno info I just search the log for Throttle @ 100%. You should be able to do multiple tests in 30 minutes.

Good Luck

Old 11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
marty44
Tourer

Well now I'm getting pissed. The SERT manual says to look at Section 9 to find a list of available maps. There is no section 9, it skips from section 8 to section 10. When I try to load up the maps from the MY2007 folder it shows a bunch of maps but I can't seem to find a 2007 Stage 1 map. So after fumbling with the manual and searching the forums I'm still trying to find a good starting map for my setup.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Section 9 is a seperate PDF file with all the cals.

It's called "Delphi Race Tuner Cals". Unless you have an 07 tuner, in that case they may have deleted it. due to EPA. You might have to get someone else's and tweak from there.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:19 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you don't have the Delphi tuner cals call your dealer and see if they have a 2006 disc. What version SERT tuner do you have?

ORIGINAL: marty44

Well now I'm getting pissed. The SERT manual says to look at Section 9 to find a list of available maps. There is no section 9, it skips from section 8 to section 10. When I try to load up the maps from the MY2007 folder it shows a bunch of maps but I can't seem to find a 2007 Stage 1 map. So after fumbling with the manual and searching the forums I'm still trying to find a good starting map for my setup.

Quick Reply: To dyno tune or not to dyno tune