Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

As I mentioned before, the new decel enleanment table does not seem to have a strong effect on eliminating decel popping. OSE pointed out that if the VE and AFR tables are all messed up, then the decel enleanment is not going to have any effect at all. At any rate, I think you might be going the wrong way with the decel enleanment table if I understand your post correctly. We on this board have agreed that the popping on these new EFI bikes is due to a too lean mixture and then when you add a high flow A/C and pipes, that makes for an even leaner mix and thus many of us have experienced popping during decel. The decel enleanment table works a little anti-intuitive (negative logic). The manual says larger values in these cells causes more fuel to be "removed" during decel. But we want to add fuel, so I believe you want to make the cell values smaller, thus reducing the amount of fuel being removed. Thus I reduced the values in each cell by 1/2. But again I witnessed little effect with this change. I first tried reducing the cells by 1/4 with definitely no change. Then tried 1/2 and there was a "slight" reduction in popping. It was OSE suggestion for VE table changes to again add more fuel which did get rid of the popping.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:23 AM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take on decell popping. First off I should point out most of my tuning experience is on cars and drag racing and I don't have it on my RK (longer exhaust). Decell popping is usually caused from a combination of the following.

1) Raw gas in the exhaust (too much fuel on decell)
2) VERY HOT exhaust.
3) Fresh oxegen present near exhaust valve (short strait through exhaust or headers PRIME canidate)

At decell MAP is at its lowest I would try reducing fuel in the decell tables. (Might need bigger numbers to notice any change?) Next up adjust 0% throttle colum in the VE tables where popping is present . As a last resort try adjusting the 20 MAP colum in the AFR tables While lean condtion increases the temp of the exhaust it is the RAW fuel burning off that is causing the backfire.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the benefits of having a forum is you get lots of opinions. One of the drawbacks is you get lots of opinions, especially when they are 180 degr different. Well, I made a bunch of changes & test runs this morn and I think I'll stick to the latest map I came up with. The bike burbles a little at times but no spit or pop that I can tell. I definitely got it to pop with some of the settings I tried. I could probably make finer adjustments if I had the time & the neighbors didn't mind, but this current map seems to work pretty good. Thanks to all the suggestions, they really helped. It's sunny and 78 in Orlando right now so as soon as I finish some work/work, I'm going for a ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17245/C0279589B4D742B09CBDACD4F4712510.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked some of my data logs and it looks like I gave you some bad advice. I'm used to working with inches of mercury as a vacuum reading not (kPa) Absotule pressure. With that said MAP value is at it lowest on decell so you should be adjusting the 20 colum. Sorry about the confussion.....I know bad advice is worse than no advice.

For what its worth I have no decell problem at all and my Injector Pluse Width is at zero on decell with throttle at 0%. A throttle reading of .5% starts to add fuel. Any chance your throttle is not returning to a steady 0% on roll off?

Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, previous posts seem 180 degrees out of phase.

God 80 degrees? I woke up to snow again here in Portland, Oregon. Snow belongs in the frick'n mountains! Thought I might be able to ride to work tomorrow since it's supposed to be dry and clear even though there's going to be a low of 20 tonight with a high of 35 tomorrow, but then I was just scheduled to attend an 8am meeting with a bunch of big wigs. Guess I could go ahead and ride and walk into the conference room sporting my leathers and blue face :-)

Glad the bike is running better Marty.

PS: Do you find the V&H BSS a little loud? Do you wear ear plugs? I'm running SEII slipons, but want something a little louder, but god the Big Shots are really loud.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember riding on Long Island in the winter when it was under 40, brrr. 79 degr & sunny right now down here. Just got back from a short ride. Of course during the summer you roast during mid day. Mornings & evenings are great times to ride in the summer. Re the Big Shots, no I don't find them too loud & I don't wear ear plugs. But it's pretty subjective. I find the sound just right. I had cycle shack slip ons before these and the V & H BSS are a little louder. Neighbors haven't started stoning the house.

I may still tinker with the map. I had one pop when I pulled off the throttle at very high RPM in 3rd so it's not perfect yet. Maybe the dyno is the quickest, best solution after all.