Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: To dyno tune or not to dyno tune

I can't take credit for the AFR changes I made. It was One_Screaming_Eagle (OSE) who posted this comment to me:

" ... set all the 14#'s to 14.1 or 14.2 in the AFR table, add 1-1.5 degrees timing at 90-100KPA for the entire rpm range and have fun."

As I mentioned, I haven't adjusted the timing per OSE suggestion. The one thing I did do on my own in the AFR table (I'm a EE and a curve fit guru :-), is I smoothed out the curves using the graphing capability for consistency, assuming this was a good thing to do.

I didn't really notice much change im the bike after I made the changes to the AFR table, but then most of my cell values in the canned map I started with were only around 14.3-14.4, not nearly as high as I see in some of other tables like for 1550" etc.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:25 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made 2 changes to the ECM with the following results. First I adjusted the front & rear VE tables using the 1% to 2% increase values at 0 throttle (same as you had in yours). I test rode the bike and it had a little bit of burble and some minor popping at decel. Next, I increased the Decel Enleanment table 3 increments for all temp settings. That is what the dealer did when they remapped it. This made things worse, actually backfired once. The worst seems to happen when I pull off the throttle in 2nd gear at approx 4000 RPM. These changes were all made to the #67 table which is for the 2007 96 CI engine with Stage 1 air and exhaust. I put the settings back to the first option for now but not sure where to go from here. There seems to be a lot of ***** I can change but there must be a strategy that's more scientific than just trying different options. I can live with the current setup but wondering if someone has some advice on how to proceed. I'd especially like to know if someone else has a 2007 Softail with this setup (K & N high flow air filter, Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggereds) and has a SERT map that works with no popping.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 AM
priceamp
Road Captain

Marty,
I agree with you, I hate the shotgun, random, throw darts strategy. Maybe it’s something with being engineers. I was hoping OSE would chime in on this thread. My guess he would recommend the data mode or better yet the use of a sniffer or a really good SERT tuner. I wonder if your O2 sensor is colliding with the 0 throttle VE changes I used to reduce the popping?

As you likely realize now, the ECM on these bikes is a pretty complicated system and we are running blind with out some way of measuring SERT changes. And I don’t know about you, but making a change and taking the bike out to determine the effect of the change is something I usually don’t have much time for.

However, if you had good enough weather, where ever you may be located, to try out various SERT changes today, I’m envious as hell, as it has been raining almost every day since about Halloween here in Oregon and I’m going frick’n crazy.

Since free flow A/C and V&H are so common, I’m sure someone will chime in regarding the ’07 bikes and how to get rid of the dreaded decel popping. Sometimes I miss a carb! Life was simple then. Carbs only have so many re-jet sizes and we would just get it close enough, be happy with it and let it pop a little bit. Popping used to be cool! Now were all EFI perfectionists.

Let us know how it all turns out and check out this link on Daytona Sensors.

WEGO

Old 11-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: priceamp

The one thing I did do on my own in the AFR table (I'm a EE and a curve fit guru :-), is I smoothed out the curves using the graphing capability for consistency, assuming this was a good thing to do.
That is a very good thing to do, and something people that do ECU cals for a living do usually once a CAL is being used in a vehicle for the first time.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
marty44
Tourer

Well, the weather here in Orlando is usually great this time of year, 82 & sunny yesterday, same for today (it's 71 at 10AM right now), so I can do a lot of tweaking and riding to see how it goes down. As you said, this shotgun approach goes against all my engineering instincts. Sure wish someone with an 07 and similar setup would make recommendations based on their experiences. Right now I'm waiting for my service manager to call back and tell me if I need to bring my bike in for the reflash of the ECM. This is re the recall on all 07s with the 96 ci engines. There's a lot of chatter on the forums about this. I'm not sure how that plays with an 07 that's already been race tuned. My last bike was a Yamaha V Star 1100 and after I added slipons I needed to get the carb rejetted. That was a simple operation and absolutely eliminated the decel popping. With all the money I've put into this hog, you'd think this problem would be a little easier to fix. Oh well, a few hundred and a dyno tune is always the last resort. But I'd like to tinker with the SERT to fix it myself. Just need a little more direction on how to do it. Hope the rain stops out there soon.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: marty44

With all the money I've put into this hog, you'd think this problem would be a little easier to fix.
See there's were you are mislead. The cost to fine tune is directly proportional to the cost of the purchase.

Buy a Ferrari and see how much a tune up cost vs. a Chevy.

It's a cruel world we gearheads live in.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:46 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Marty,
Have you been reading another recent thread in this forum this moring about HD race tuning?

https://www.hdforums.com/m_959406/tm.htm

Folks are suggesting startng with map #78, not #67? I use the -06 SERT version and thus don't have the maps for the '07 bikes, so I can't see for myself what should be the starting point.

Orlando? Yikes! I lived in Jacksonville while going to high school. God I'd love to be there now. As I type this post and have my morning coffee, it's frick'n snowing outside. Guess I won't be riden this week either. Good news, is that, I might be working from home today or at least going in late.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:17 PM
marty44
Tourer

Jack, I took a quick look at the 2 maps. The differences are in the VE tables, #78 has a higher set of nums for the front cyl and a lower set for the rear cyl, compared to #67. That means the front & rear nums are closer to each other in #78 Vs #67. The decel enleanment #s are the same. I'll take a look at that thread after lunch.

Not to make you jealous but I work at home unless I'm traveling on business. Right now I'm getting ready to jump on the bike & meet some friends for lunch. It's still sunny and up to 76. We may have milder winters here but I'll bet you have some awsome scenery to ride thru up there. Thanks for all the help, it's appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17245/FE18033EC97E4FB7BD49A8439666D9E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-27-2006, 03:40 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

I probably spoke too soon on the #78 map vs. the #67. I didn't consider the #78 is for touring model exhaust, where #67 is for shotgun and shorty dual like your Deluxe and my Standard, which is a great looking bike, by the way.

Jealous? Damn straight. Let see, sunny 71 degree Florida or snowy 35 degree Oregon? Or a sunny ride to meet friends for lunch or a left over Tupperware micro waved turkey lunch at my cube? That's a tough call :-) However, you are right, Oregon is full of lush green mountain twisties and gorgeous coast line when it ain't raining or snowing, but then there's Daytona, Cocoa Beach and frick'n South Beach, bikini's bikini's and more bikini's. Being from the west coast, I have to admit, I never got used to Florida being so flat, but still, it's gorgeous there too and you should be able to ride all year except for those torrential down pours. How do you deal with all the bugs? I remember driving from Jax to Gainsville to see my then girl friend in the spring and the Love Bugs trashed the paint on my VW.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 PM
marty44
Tourer

You're right about the bugs. They're called love bugs cause when they swarm, they swarm in connected pairs. Only good thing is it's for about 1 month, then they're gone. You need to clean them off the car before the acid in their guts ruins your paint.

Well I just made two more test runs with #67. I richened up the AF to 14.2 for most of the red cells as per Screaming Eagle's advice, then I adv the timing 1.5 degrees for his recommended ranges. Bike still runs great but no relief from decel popping. Next I increased the decel enleanment table to .5 for most of the cells, no change. I'm going to try adjusting the VE tables as you suggested tomorrow. Hope Screaming Eagle chimes in with his advice, I'm running out of ideas. The worst popping occurs when the bike is hot and I go full throttle in 2nd or 3rd, then drop off the throttle. The good news is the Harley mechanic said I don't have to come in for the 2007 recall since I already have a race tuned flash loaded.

Quick Reply: To dyno tune or not to dyno tune