Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tuning question in Maryland (powervision, download, SERT)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tuning question in Maryland (powervision, download, SERT)?

Ok, guys....just got my big shot duals and screaming eagle intake on my 103 2012 RGC. The ride home was pleasant but did experience backfiring and sputtering on downshift. I ended up doing the Harley download since the tech recommended this over the SERT. I was actually confused that they didnt recommend the SERT initially.

The interesting this was that when I picked up the bike he recommended that I get the SERT since the download still leaves me in a "lean" condition. Funny, that I wanted this in the first place and he doesn;t recommend it. Now that I paid the 160 for the download he recommends the SERT. Oh well!

Anyways for my question.....Does the download actually adjust A/F mixture or is it only messing with timing? Also, what do you guys recommend....should I just go with the Powervision and say screw my warranty?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth any tuner can potentially put your warranty at risk. Even though the MoCo sells SE, it's still considered a third party brand. As such some dealers might try to invalidate your warranty if you tune using a SE tuner. Personally I don't think there is a great risk of them doing that. If it were me I'd be more concerned with the MoCo's reaction if you were looking to use a tuner that piggybacks or replaces the stock ECM.

That said I'm no expert on the subject so I could very well be wrong...