Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuner conversion questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner conversion questions...

My 2009 Heritage is presently tuned using a SEPST. I am thinking about purchasing a Power Vision (PV-1) from Jamie at Fuel Moto. My reasons for considering this change is that I like the flexibility of the Power Vision tuner and it's ability to monitor the bike in real time.

The question I have relates to my existing setup. My Heritage was tuned by the original owner. As such I do not have a copy of the original map only the map that's currently loaded on the bike. Does it matter if I associate the Power Vision using the SEPST map as opposed to the stock map? Jamie had mentioned to me in email that they have copies of many stock maps so it's likely that they could provide this to me if I want it. Do I even need it?

Oh and not that I'd do this but once the bike is associated with the Power Vision, will the SEPST still be able to communicate with the bikes ECM? Or does the SEPST become junk? My thought is that if it still communicated with the bike I could keep it until I decide to upgrade and sell the Heritage. At that time I could reflash the bike using the tune in the SEPST, provide the SEPST to the next owner, and pay the fee to DJ to get the Power Vision associated with my new bike (assuming that it were compatible). Thoughts?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Schmedlab
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martimus, I'm not as knowledgeable about this stuff as alot of others are and I am not familiar with the SEPST but I do use a Power Vision so I'll try to answer your questions.

You do not necessarily need the original map. If you buy a PV you will most likely start by flashing your ECM with a custom tune provided by Fuel Moto or a DynoJet tune that is already loaded on the PV. Its your choice. From that point you create "tuning logs" by riding the bike and then use the logs along with the PV software to create a new tune. Then you flash the ECM with the new tune. This can be done as many times as necessary or until you are satisfied with the bike's performance.

Now as far as the SEPST goes I'll have to claim ignorance. I don't know if it is a piggy-back device like a Power Commander III or V or if it is removed from the bike after its done its job like a PV or a TTS. The PV plugs into the auxilliary ECM connector and it can remain in place indefinitely or it can be removed after you are satisfied with the tune. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in here.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure of the tuning value of monitoring the bike real time or the quality of the data, but the SESPT interface module marries itself to the ECU. You can use the SESPT to read any ECU, but you can only program the married ECU. If you don't have the map the tuner used, you realy can't reload it, you may need to get a standard map. It the real time thing holding you back from smart tune? It seems to me you have a pretty good tuner tool there, why throw it out? Any of the current tools will require some off line work/processing to dial things in.

Just saying to check out what exactly the real time is buying you before jumping ship, there is a lot of marketing that can be confusing.

If you have deep pockets and want to toy... never mind.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deep pockets? LOL

My pockets have holes in them. With the downturn of the economy I need to rely more on this scoot. And these 120 degree temps this summer have been wreaking havoc on everything. I simply would rather invest $500 in a tool I can use on the fly... then give $300 to a tuner who may or may not do a better job tuning my bike than the last guy did.