Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Management: What Should I do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Fuel Management: What Should I do???

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic with Vance and Hines True Duals and an air cleaner kit. The bike also has a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. I think it runs ok. but not as well as it could. I'm not about to spend money to dyno it. I'm wondering if I can just remove the ECM and get the Thundermax ECM w/ self tuning capabilities. Sound good? Please chime in folks. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DresserDude
I have a 2008 Ultra Classic with Vance and Hines True Duals and an air cleaner kit. The bike also has a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. I think it runs ok. but not as well as it could. I'm not about to spend money to dyno it. I'm wondering if I can just remove the ECM and get the Thundermax ECM w/ self tuning capabilities. Sound good? Please chime in folks. Thanks.
If I remember correctly, the TMax with AT is about $1000 while a decent dyno tune is about half that price.

If you have a laptop, you might consider the TTS (again, for about half the TMax price) and do the install and tuning yourself.

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the bike to run as well as it can, you need the kind of equipment a Dyno operator has. Many have had good luck and like the Thundermax, but to get the most out of it you still need to do some tuning. Thundermax replaces a newer model ECU with an older model that has a more agressive baseline tune, some tuning features, and different O2 sensors. There are some relatively minor tuning features missing or hard to use, but in general a competent tuner can get a lot out of them. They are a lot of work to install and a bunch of cash, however.

Does your version of SERT have smart tune? If so use it. If not think about trading it in for a TTS tuning kit (about $100 last I checked). For the street, the tuning kit and some sweat equity will get you as close to a competent dyno tune as you can get while still retaining closed loop operation (if you choose to do so). You can get 95% easily, takes more work to get another 3 or 4 %. You could get 100% but you can't tell without dyno equipment.

Look on mastertune.net for the tuning manual.

There are other options, I'm sure The PC and powervision fan boys will step in here soon with information on those alternatives.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-31-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have both a TTS and a PowerVision and both are married to the same bike. I feel the PowerVision has the better total package for tuning without a dyno at home. I use MegaLogViewer HD to view the data logs and make tuning tweaks. I never trust any autotune system to make the final tuning decision.

AW

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey thanks guys...... You are correct. I am not to keen on dropping a grand on the Thundermax. I don't have an interface cable to see if my SERT qualifies for the upgrade per TTS. I will look into getting the cable and checking that route. Thanks for the replies and anyone else feel free to chime in and voice their opinions.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had my SERT 32107-01E upgraded by TTS for the $100. You have to send them the square dongle and they keep it for about 2 weeks. Go on their website and run their test program to be sure that your SERT is upgradeable. BTW, get a Belkin cable for the interface.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
I have both a TTS and a PowerVision and both are married to the same bike. I feel the PowerVision has the better total package for tuning without a dyno at home. I use MegaLogViewer HD to view the data logs and make tuning tweaks. I never trust any autotune system to make the final tuning decision.

AW
I also have both the TTS and Power Vision and agree with your assessment of the PV. You can read the tune from the bike and tweak it, you don't need a separate PC to log the data nor do you need a separate display to show the data as you ride. Works well for me.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I don't know if the TMax costs more for your model, but I got mine 3 years ago for under $690. From one of the sponsors- CatEye Customs. Made a huge difference in performance.