Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Battery Drain 4.63 amps nothing on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
HarleyRider209
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain 4.63 amps nothing on.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Dyna Lowrider with a battery drain problem i hope i can find some help. If the bike sits for more than 2 hrs the battery wont kick the motor over. I have to fully charge it then it will start. Here is some of the things i have done. Checked Stator its about 1 year old .03 ohms. Checked regulator to ground its ok. Here is what i found tonight. When i do a amps draw check on the battery i get a draw of 4.63 amps with everything off. I unpluged the fuses 1 by 1 and the only fuse that make the draw go away is the Battery 15amp fuse. The amps then drop to .80 amp. When i had the bike running i checked the charge at 2500rpm its charging 14.3 volts. Any Ideas im going crazy.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 02:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My guess:

1. Make sure your battery cables are not touching the frame anywhere.
2. Sounds like a relay stuck in the open position. There is really no way to repair a relay other than replace it.
3. Pull your relays one at a time while doing the amp check with the battery fuse in place and see if the draw stops.

Q: Have you added any new equipment to the bike recently?
Have you washed the bike recently?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KBFKDLI,

Not being a wise guy, just curious. Why the question about washing bike?

i have charging issues also..

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Now that you know its the battery circuit you will need a wiring diagram to see what components are in that circuit. One by one unplug the components till you have your 80 Milli amp draw then you can test the component that is giving you the grief. By the way have now done a load test on the battery to see if it has survived.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 AM
HarleyRider209
Novice

Thanks guys for the input.

For Kbf's question. The bike wasnt washed recently and and the only add ons was done about 4 years ago i added driving lights and they run on the headlight fuse. I was pulling out the relays like you said and the Starter Relay came out with no change on the draw. However i cannot get the System Relay out its stuck Im going to try again tonight but maybe it has welded itself in i dont know. I have jiggled the wires around to see if there is a ground nothing changed the draw.

Tft, I looked over the wiring diagram and found only 3 things going to that Battery fuse. (1) The TSM/TSSM i believe this to be the bike alarm. I unpluged it nothing changed. (2) The Alarm Horn i havent located it yet i will unplug it next. (3) The bike Intrument Assembly i will try to find that plug tonight when i get home. After going over the bike diagram again it appears almost everything connects itself to the battery fuse one way or another...haha well i guess i start pulling connectors....Grrrrrrrr
I have had the battery load tested 2 times at HD they said its fine. I think the battery tender must have saved it.

Thanks again guys i really appreciate it.

Last edited by HarleyRider209; 08-27-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't want to sound bad here but how are you checking for a draw? Just want to make sure you are doing it right. You must dissconnect the neg lead from the battery and the meter has to have the red lead in the 10A spot and then connect the meter in series. Not sure how long you need towait for the modules to go to sleep and then ck to see what the draw is. If you are doing it correctly already sorry for wasting this post. If not done like the above yyou will never get a correct draw reading. The draw should not exceed .003A or 3 milliamps

Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 PM
HarleyRider209
Novice

Blk and Chrome,

I was following the directions in the operating instructions that came with the meter. However it says to unhook the positive side of the battery and place Black clip to the Cable and the Red clip to the battery. I just went into the garage and changed it around like you said and i get the same excact reading 4.63 DC amps. When i switch it to DC V it reads 12.14 Volts. Im new to this electrical stuff any input is very much apreciated. I dont want to take it to HD if i can avoid it... Well Crap Maybe im doing something wrong i just checked the battery Amps. Neg meter Pos and im getting the same amps and same voltage. Im thinking i got a direct ground or im doing something wrong.... I hate this crap.

Last edited by HarleyRider209; 08-27-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by remike
KBFKDLI,

Not being a wise guy, just curious. Why the question about washing bike?

i have charging issues also..
I have seen guys get water in their fuse box that will cause all kinds of issues for days.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I have seen guys get water in their fuse box that will cause all kinds of issues for days.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRider209
Blk and Chrome,

I was following the directions in the operating instructions that came with the meter. However it says to unhook the positive side of the battery and place Black clip to the Cable and the Red clip to the battery.
Doesn't matter which terminal you take off the battery, you get the same answer - just connect between the battery and the cable for amps. Don't put an amp meter directly across a battery's terminals - the meter &/or the battery will be toast. You are on the right track. Even though it is tedious, disconnecting one circuit at a time is the right way to find this problem. I've been working electronics for 28 years.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Battery Drain 4.63 amps nothing on.