Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?

My father has a 2006 Harley Softail deluxe with some motor work done to it. Bored over with forged pistons, higher compression, full aftermarket exhaust, screaming eagle throttle body with the screaming eagle injectors to match.

He recently had it tuned on the dyno by a local Harley Davidson shop and when he showed me the dyno sheet I got a little nervous. 17 AFR ratio at WOT.

The guy operating the dyno also took out the screaming eagle 4.8 injectors and put in the STOCK Harley 3.9 injectors. He said this needed to be done because of the degree on the injectors or something ?

From the research I did online, the stock injectors max out at 99hp.

On the dyno it put down 112hp and 116tq with the stock injectors (YIKES)

Also, my father asked the tuner to copy everything on to a thumb drive and he did not.

What do you guys think ?

Attached Thumbnails Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?-harley-dyno.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Should be around 14 or so for the most power, and will run cooler also.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice

Seems that the tuner is inexperienced but what really concerns me is the current AFR at wide open throttle. Seems dangerously lean.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Yes it's way lean. The operator should be targeting 13.0:1 AF at wide open throttle. Also, what reason did he give for removing the larger injectors?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
HarleyHog11
Novice

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Yes it's way lean. The operator should be targeting 13.0:1 AF at wide open throttle. Also, what reason did he give for removing the larger injectors?
He said something about the injectors being degreed to much or something ?

The larger injectors came with the screaming eagle throttle body. They are the injectors to use with the throttle body according to screaming eagle.

The bike is running a lot hotter and even noticed a loss in top end power.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude, what the hell....17 is WAY lean....under WOT you should be around 13.X - 14.0, you want to be a bit rich at WOT, not lean. I like my engines to run about 13.0-13.3 at WOT.

17 is dangerously lean. He needs to stop riding that bike until he gets it sorted out.

Whoever put that tune on his bike should be fired immediately.

My guess is that he is an idiot, and by pulling the SE injectors, he created a massive lean condition by not allowing the bike to get enough fuel. The stock injectors can't flow at a high enough rate to support the other mods, so too much air and not enough fuel = MASSIVE lean condition.

Seriously, call the dealer, demand they trailer it back, and demand to talk to the owner/manager. Tell him politely that he has a tech doing tunes on bikes that will ruin the bikes. They need to install the SE injectors and verify that no engine damage has been done by the insane lean condition that "trained" Harley tech created.

I would never EVER have accepted a bike running 17 AFR at WOT, I would have immediately talked to the manager of the service department and demanded a new tech redo the entire procedure.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 08-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
HarleyHog11
Novice

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Dude, what the hell....17 is WAY lean....under WOT you should be around 13.X - 14.0, you want to be a bit rich at WOT, not lean. I like my engines to run about 13.0-13.3 at WOT.

17 is dangerously lean. He needs to stop riding that bike until he gets it sorted out.

Whoever put that tune on his bike should be fired immediately.

My guess is that he is an idiot, and by pulling the SE injectors, he created a massive lean condition by not allowing the bike to get enough fuel. The stock injectors can't flow at a high enough rate to support the other mods, so too much air and not enough fuel = MASSIVE lean condition.

Seriously, call the dealer, demand they trailer it back, and demand to talk to the owner/manager. Tell him politely that he has a tech doing tunes on bikes that will ruin the bikes. They need to install the SE injectors and verify that no engine damage has been done by the insane lean condition that "trained" Harley tech created.

I would never EVER have accepted a bike running 17 AFR at WOT, I would have immediately talked to the manager of the service department and demanded a new tech redo the entire procedure.

This has been my thought all along, thanks for the confirmation. I appreciate your response and I will have my father call the dealer ASAP.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For the record, I have seen turbocharged cars (I drive a Subaru WRX, and know a lot of WRX enthusiasts) experience massive engine failure running 17-18 AFR values due to the heat caused by the lean condition.

Running too rich can ruin plugs and foul up a cat, possibly mess up injectors...but the heat produced by running too lean is really bad for your engine.

Based on that chart, it looks like his AFR never drops below 15???? On an aircooled bike that is insanity (on any engine its bad). It personally angers me when I see amateur crap like this take place at a dealership, because there is NO excuse for it.

I'm not a trained Harley tech, but I am a gear head, and even I know that the AFR values shown on that sheet are WAY off...how someone employed as a technician could look at those values and then decide to say "Yup, jobs done" is negligent on a level that is almost criminal.

Here is a dyno chart from another member on this forum, with the exception of the strange dip above 3K rpm, look at the AFR values (his bike in RED). Note that the bike stays around 14.6, which to my knowledge is the factory closed loop AFR at WOT. A bike running leaner than that is under gassed for SURE.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 08-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I guess I am missing something as I cannot see where the AFR is shown at 17. 112hp is a very nice number for a 95/98"? bike and it seems to me it would ping so badly at that afr it couldn't make that kind of number. EDIT: I see the afr line but I don't really see a sub graph that most sheets have as the one shown by 9x19.

Last edited by qtrracer; 08-25-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice

When he brings the bike back to the dealer we will make sure he copys the tune onto a flash drive. My father asked him to do it the first time but he never did.

I'll also have him request a datalog of the last dyno run on the flash drive.

Honestly though... I would ask for a 100% refund, reverse the work the tuner did, and bring the bike somewhere else. That will all be up to my father though.

Quick Reply: Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?