Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Here is a dyno chart from another member on this forum, with the exception of the strange dip above 3K rpm, look at the AFR values (his bike in RED). Note that the bike stays around 14.6, which to my knowledge is the factory closed loop AFR at WOT. A bike running leaner than that is under gassed for SURE.

There is no closed loop at wide open throttle on Harley's. The o2 sensors are only on in the cruising ranges.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
There is no closed loop at wide open throttle on Harley's. The o2 sensors are only on in the cruising ranges.
Holy hell I'm guilty of posting too fast, that I was typo, I meant to say OPEN loop.

Its in OPEN loop mode at WOT just like almost every other vehicle I have dealt with, and its in closed loop mode at idle and throttle from 0-9X%.

Correct?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Holy hell I'm guilty of posting too fast, that I was typo, I meant to say OPEN loop.

Its in OPEN loop mode at WOT just like almost every other vehicle I have dealt with, and its in closed loop mode at idle and throttle from 0-9X%.

Correct?
It happens. Here is a screen shot of an AFR table. Just one I pulled up at random. This is right from Screaming Eagle, I didn't change it in anyway. The red cells are where HD has this particular MAP in closed loop. Keep in mind that the numbers across the top are NOT throttle position, they are MAP (kpa) load, for arguement sake, and ease of explanation, the load is basically the demand that you are puting on your engine. Under hard acceleration, it will go up to 100%, but typical cruising at say 55 MPH, with an average size person in 5th gear, the bikes run between the high 20% to the mid 30's at between 2000 and 2500 RPM's, 65 MPH would be the same load with a little higher RPM, like 2500 to 3000 or so. If the bike has o2 sensors and the MAP is calibrated (tuned) within the ranges of the narrow band o2 sensors, the bike will make adjustments to try to acheive the goal of the red cells, the cells that are not red the bike will run solely on the tune, so if the bike is NOT calibrated correctly the bike could be running way rich or lean in these areas. On bikes that do NOT have o2 sensors, the bike is running completely on the tune, so it is very important for thes bikes to be tuned (calibrated).

Hope this helps shed some light

Attached Thumbnails Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?-af.jpg  

Last edited by harleytuner; 08-25-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
It happens. Here is a screen shot of an AFR table. Just one I pulled up at random. This is right from Screaming Eagle, I didn't change it in anyway. The red cells are where HD has this particular MAP in closed loop. Keep in mind that the numbers across the top are NOT throttle position, they are MAP (kpa) load, for arguement sake, and ease of explanation, the load is basically the demand that you are puting on your engine. Under hard acceleration, it will go up to 100%, but typical cruising at say 55 MPH, with an average size person in 5th gear, the bikes run between the high 20% to the mid 30's at between 2000 and 2500 RPM's, 65 MPH would be the same load with a little higher RPM, like 2500 to 3000 or so. If the bike has o2 sensors and the MAP is calibrated (tuned) within the ranges of the narrow band o2 sensors, the bike will make adjustments to try to acheive the goal of the red cells, the cells that are not red the bike will run solely on the tune, so if the bike is NOT calibrated correctly the bike could be running way rich or lean in these areas. On bikes that do NOT have o2 sensors, the bike is running completely on the tune, so it is very important for thes bikes to be tuned (calibrated).

Hope this helps shed some light
I can't see the image you posted but what you say makes perfect sense.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't see the image you posted but what you say makes perfect sense.

LOL, my bad. I totally forgot to add the image. I fixed it though.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: This bike is a 107 cubic inches and the AFR ratio is closer to 15.5 - 16 on the dyno sheet. Still waay to high though.

My father called the Harley shop and they are going to take the bike back in tomorrow and put the big injectors back in and retune it.

Motor should be making 120+hp and have 13 AFR ratio at WOT. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM
PIONEERMC
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HarleyHog11
update: This bike is a 107 cubic inches and the AFR ratio is closer to 15.5 - 16 on the dyno sheet. Still waay to high though.
Originally Posted by HarleyHog11

My father called the Harley shop and they are going to take the bike back in tomorrow and put the big injectors back in and retune it.

Motor should be making 120+hp and have 13 AFR ratio at WOT. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I hope its taken care of by someone different...FWIW my understanding is the tuner got what he got and didnt do much else except charge $600. It states "some other bike" in blue which would be the higher numbers ..Look at some of Jamies (fuel moto) numbers for that build to get an idea of what your Dad should be seeing. just a thought

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 AM
HarleyHog11
Novice

I brought the bike back to the Harley shop and they supposedly fixed the tune but now it runs worse than it ever has before. I opened a new thread about it.

im trying to see if someone can look at the tune if I email it to them.