Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I guess I am missing something as I cannot see where the AFR is shown at 17. 112hp is a very nice number for a 95/98"? bike and it seems to me it would ping so badly at that afr it couldn't make that kind of number. EDIT: I see the afr line but I don't really see a sub graph that most sheets have as the one shown by 9x19.
I'm sorry that you cannot see the AFR on the graph. The picture was taken with a cellphone. Not sue what you mean by 95/98 ? This is a 2006 Harley with a lot of money into the motor. I can get you the exact details if needed.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyHog11
I'm sorry that you cannot see the AFR on the graph. The picture was taken with a cellphone. Not sue what you mean by 95/98 ? This is a 2006 Harley with a lot of money into the motor. I can get you the exact details if needed.
2006 with a big bore means usually a 95" or a 98" size engine. I see a line but I see nowhere where it lists afr ratios, on the left those are the hp/tq numbers. If this was to be used for afr ratios I would think it would be a sub graph like the other sheet. But I may be all wrong about that.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

2006 with a big bore means usually a 95" or a 98" size engine. I see a line but I see nowhere where it lists afr ratios, on the left those are the hp/tq numbers. If this was to be used for afr ratios I would think it would be a sub graph like the other sheet. But I may be all wrong about that.
Some dyno software will plot AFR on the same axis as TQ/HP, because it operates in a range from 12-17 or so (at the extremes) and can therefore be mapped directly onto the TQ/HP axis without obscuring the other data.

I believe that is what is was done in that picture, and it makes sense when combined with the fact that the bike has lost power, runs hot, and the tech decided to use injectors that are rated below the output of the bike.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Some dyno software will plot AFR on the same axis as TQ/HP, because it operates in a range from 12-17 or so (at the extremes) and can therefore be mapped directly onto the TQ/HP axis without obscuring the other data.

I believe that is what is was done in that picture, and it makes sense when combined with the fact that the bike has lost power, runs hot, and the tech decided to use injectors that are rated below the output of the bike.
I guess the part that is making me confused is the apparent great performance 112hp of a bike that is in the 17-1 afr range in this sheet. It would make more sense to me if the bike made 85 hp at that afr. If it was my bike I would want to see that run #2040 put on a different graph listing the afr's on a column by rpm basis. Then I would have something I could wrap my peanut brain around.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice

I guess the part that is making me confused is the apparent great performance 112hp of a bike that is in the 17-1 afr range in this sheet. It would make more sense to me if the bike made 85 hp at that afr. If it was my bike I would want to see that run #2040 put on a different graph listing the afr's on a column by rpm basis. Then I would have something I could wrap my peanut brain around.
Who's to say the tuner didn't fudge the numbers to make my father happy ? The stock injectors are in the bike and from what I have researched, the stock injectors can't even reach 100hp on a dyno.

He did say it feels less powerful since the tune and it definitely runs hotter.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM
HarleyHog11
Novice

by the way....

the tuner charged him $600.

$300 for the tune and another $300 for labor which was just swapping out the big injectors for the stock ones.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Who's to say the tuner didn't fudge the numbers to make my father happy ? The stock injectors are in the bike and from what I have researched, the stock injectors can't even reach 100hp on a dyno.

Yeah, at this point its all up in the air, but IF that AFR is actually 17 (and running hotter plus less power makes sense) its running dangerously lean and that must be addressed before any more riding is done.

I just ran this thread by my friend who writes his own tunes for his car (he has a lot of experience writing entire tunes from scratch and has never blown up an engine) and he agreed that if the AFR on that chart is correct, its dangerous to ride it until that is addressed.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I didn't want to go there, but since you brought it up, I think that if the plugs look ok then the sheet is all a lie AFR, HP and TQ. Go and pull the plugs like we all used do.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Something is not correct with the way the sheet is layed out, it appears the tune is right you just cannot see the AFR scaling. If in fact the AFR was as lean as 17:1 the bike would not even take throttle much less run good, according to the chart it is making proper numbers

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

I agree with Jamie, the whole sheet just doesn't look quit right. His HP and TRQ lines are way to smooth to be running that lean. On second glance, it appears to me that his AF line is closer to 15 than to 17, if each mark on the left (between 0 and 20) equals 2, he looks to be mostly just above the 7th mark, which would be 14. As Jamie can probably attest, if you have an o2 sensor go bad in your A/F sniffer, it'll show around 14.6:1, which appears to be about where this is. Maybe he (the dyno operator) has a faulty o2 sensor or a broken wire to his sniffer, which will show results about like this one.

As far as the numbers he is putting out. Alls we know is that this is a big bore. I agree that the numbers look OK for a 95" or a 98", but if this bike is a stroker and has a 103, 107, 113 or whatever, the numbers could be low. The lean conditions at wide open throttle are not what would concern me though, since W.O.T. only represents a very minute % of where the bike is riden at (unless he drag races) I would be more concerned about what the bike is doing at cruising ranges. If a tuner cannot tune W.O.T. (which, by the way, is about the easiest part of the whole tune, then chances are he is way off in the other ranges. Since this bike is an 06, it doesn't have o2 sensors, so the bike has NO means to make any corrections, it is running soley on the tune. Regardless, I would probaby take it somewhere else and have it re-done, I would not trust this shop. Removing the large flow injectors was a BS move, the angle of the spray is a BS excuse. He would've had to change the flow rate in the tuning constants to meet the demands of the new injectors.

Quick Reply: Please look at dyno sheet, am I too lean ?