Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How is warranty affected by adding a SERT or PCIII?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 60 Posts
Default How is warranty affected by adding a SERT or PCIII?

I want to add the SERT myself, but am uncertain how it will affect my engine warranty. I understand that if I have engine problems and take it to the dealer for warranty work, they can see that I have used a SERT to download a different map than the stock one.
Is that a big deal? Does anybody have any experience regarding this issue.

I also underatand that I can add the PCIII and later remove it for warranty work and the dealer might never know it had been installed (except maybe knowing that I had to have something since I have added different pipes and filter).

I have extended warranty and don't want to jepardize it by adding hardware/software that the dealer/MOCO can use to deny engine warranty.

What do you think about this? Is it something that varies from dealer to dealer? Think I should just say F%&k It and install the performance mods and cross the enginee warranty bridge if and when it comes up?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How is warranty affected by adding a SERT or PCIII?

I don't think it will matter.
Before I bought my bike the dealer installed the SE pro 16ga double barrel exhaust, the SE air cleaner, and the SERT.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most dealers will stand behind installs,esp if they do it.You doing so may cause a spat.Ask first.If they can prove that it was something you did it could play into warranty.If they installed,tuned it probably will be covered.The real question is how long is the EPA going to let this go on w/o getting tough on these so called off-road units.If the dealers start getting fined this kinda thing is going to stop and what good will a sert be then?

Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the MOCO - VOID VOID VOID

Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dealer did my stage 1 and sert and stands behind it.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
easyriderone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heidi at HD customer srevice told me that Harley cannot do a blanklet voiding of your warranty (Magnusson Moss Act) just because you install a Harley SERT or any aftermarket part on the bike. She stated that "Harley must prove that the part or item added cause the problem". If you read the introduction to the SERT manual it says it "may void part or all of your warranty". If you have a stand up dealer he will stand behind you warranty, if you have one that is a dick look around your area I am sure you can find one who will help you with your problem. Just remember that dealer when it comes time to buy accessories or your next new bike. One dealer's service manager laugh when I questioned him about this. He stated "if we voided everybody's warranty who modified (something even as simple as pipes and AC) their bikes we would then we would have no warranty work and we would also have no customers."

Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 60 Posts

I appreciate everyones answer. I am aware of the Magnusson-Moss act that prevents blanket voiding of the warranty. However, the MOCO can void PART of the warranty if they believe mods caused the damage. I just don't want to get into a fight with them. I also believe that most dealers will stand behind the warranty if they do the work themselves. That is part of the problem, I do my own work and will install the SERT, pipes and AC myself. The only thing they may be doing is a post-install dyno. I guess I need to have a heart-to-heart with my dealer to "feel" them out. At any rate, I will most likely be adding a SERT, pipes and AC soon. Gotta have that power!!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

like easyriderone said, if they voided everyones warranty that added pipes, air cleaner and calibration (wether it be SERT, PCIII, etc..) who would that leave?
is there anyone that doesn't, at the very least, change the pipes and air cleaner on their stock bike when they buy it?

Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

edit, double post!