Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Screamin Eagle 110 Impossible to get tuned!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Shekinah5678
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle 110 Impossible to get tuned!!!

Well my wife and I took off on our vacation which took us from Illinois to Colorado Springs and on to Sturgis. After getting to Colorado Springs I had my Speedo go to 0. After turning the bike off and back on it worked again but it freeked me out and off to Pike's Peek HD I went. They found nothing wrong in there diagnostic checks but when hearing it run they said it was missing. They pulled the plugs and said I needed a Dyno. One plug was almost fouled out. I had left Illinois with everything except my Pro Race tuner so they put some new plugs in and I was on down the road. I then had someone mail the tuner to our Sturgis hotel. After some searching I found that the nearest HD shop that would Dyno was in Sundance WY. Chuck there was actually very helpful and told me that I had an intake leak and replaced the gaskets. He then put it on the Dyno and after 3 hours came to me with the bad news. He had determined that there was somthing off in the motor. He got the tune close but if I hammer it at around 2000 rpm's it falls on it's but. He thought maybe a cam was installed wrong or somthing. Well he told me it was good enough to get me home and suggested having it torn down further there. Amazingly he didn't charge me for any of the Dyno work. Well so far so good it's running pretty good. I am actually not that fond of the engine configuration that's in it but that how it was when I bought it. I think I mite try to change out the Cams first. I didn't like the SE260 any way. Chuck suggested the SE254E. Would this be a good place to start with the tuning issue? I thought I'd replace the lifters too while it's apart. I don't really like those Hi Comp pistons either but I'd prefer not to tear into it that far if I don't have to. I was also thinking about some other cams as well. Maybe S&S or Woods. Are there any that work well with High Compression 10.5:1. The heads are the stock Screamin Eagle 110's with ACR's and upgraded valve springs. I really don't need any more performance just a good running well tuned motor. I would rather have torque down in the 2000-3000 rpm range. Sorry for the long winded story. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cams are off a tooth I'd fix that before changing them out for something else. If they are ok then perhaps something like Woods 555 would be a gd compromise ?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Shekinah5678
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks hornhonker. After talking to my indy mechanic I decided to install a Thundermax w/ Auto Tune. I was a little skeptical that it would solve all my problems but I figured if it didn't work I would end up using it after a cam change anyway. Well I installed it and wow what a difference it made. No hesitation at 2000 RPM's and just feels smoother all around. 6th gear is so much more useable now. It was a little glitchy at first CEL light a couple times but seems to have worked itself out. The guys at Zippers suggested a new set of injectors and one of the 113 maps with my hi comp setup. So ordered them but I got excited and installed it with a different map while I wait for them, and now I have no idea why I ordered them because it runs so good. Thanks again I'll keep ya posted after injectors.