Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is the SERT easy to master DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the SERT easy to master DIY?

I agree that dyno tuning has it place and no doubt a Wide band O2 is better, but it can not simulate some of the problems that crop up on the road. Like problems with extreme Air temp...is say 45 deg. or problems under certain loads. I would say the SERT data mode falls somewhere between "Dyno tuning" and "seat of the pants" tuning. The best part is it doesn't cost extra and certainly is better than seat of the pants.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should clarify what "Seat of the pants" means to me.

For me, it would be in data mode and something occurs while riding. You make a mental note of speed/throttle/RPM. (Sort of like the SERT manual directs you to do with the tape on the throttle).

Then when you play back data mode you know where to look for the problem. I would never hap-hazardly fool with the tables based on seat of the pants without Data Mode in use. It's not a carb

Old 11-14-2006, 01:28 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: supermoto17
The real problem with tuning with data mode is that the information is based on ECM feedback from engine load and sensor data. This is not a test of the engines efficiencies or performance, rather feedback data based on load.
The motorcycle is running on the data feedback that the ecm receives from those sensors. The ECM then looks into data tables and according to the sensor data adjusts the timing and air fuel mixture. Reguardless of who enters the data. If the data is wrong the MC will not perform.

Performance comes from the correct data being loaded into the cells in those tables.

Original: supermoto17
This can work at times but is hit or miss at best.
A dyno tuner does a series of pulls and using the data he gets from his computer enters adjusted data in the cells in the respective tables. the dyno's of today have load adjustment capabilities. If the load wasn't there their pulls would be squat. The load on a pull directly affects the map.

The only difference in his data and mine will be a tighter time reference for the AFR readings. For less than $100 bucks I can put a Wide Band AFR on that will give me the readings I need to tune. For @ $300 I can get a data logger that will record as much information as the dyno guys does. And I can do it every week if i want to. And if they have a sert, do it to my buddies V-rod, and my cousins SuperGlide, or my buddies friends EG.

My readings will be real world actual on the street runs. It will take me a little longer but with persistance I will get as good as or better results than they do.

Dyno tuning when properly done wether you have a SERT, PC or any other device is an excellent way of tuning.
No argument here. If the tuner knows what their doing. It's just that everyone that modifies their Harley doesn't have either access to a qualified tuner or the tuner in their area wants an outrageous amount to dyno their ride. My dealer wants $450 in the dyno room and another $200 to install the SERT. And that is crap. Install the SERT, what kind of chit is that.[/quote]

Original: supermoto17
It is not just about runs and graphs.
Whether it is on a dyno or on the street. It is all about the runs and depending on how your software displays the information, the graphs.

The more of us that learn the software and data change results from our tuning, the more it is going to help everyone.

The data mode of the SERT is what harley used to establish all of their equipment maps, whether it was on a dyno or not.

Just my 2¢.