Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Replacing Speedometer Mileage Difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Default Replacing Speedometer Mileage Difference

So, I just bought a new set of gauges for my EG Standard, upgrading to the streetglide gauge set.
My mileage is at about 5000 miles now, and the new guage was taken off a bike at 1000 miles.
Does this cause any problems? Do I get a free 4000 miles now?
Could I possibly get caught at the next inspection when they check the mileage?
I can't remember if they checked it when I got my sticker, but I know they do with cars.
Will the State accuse me of odometer fraud, if they catch this?
Guess I'd better call the State of NH tomorrow.
What have others done in this situation?
Thanks for all your help.

Peace
Rags

Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Speedometer Mileage Difference

I upgraded to the spun aluminum gauges on my '07 Ultra. The dealer was not worried about the difference in milage and told me not to be concerned either. They did ask what milage I wanted on the speedometer so when they order it Harley can program that milage into it before they ship. I really don't know what to think so good question for sure!

For now I am keeping track of the true milage for service reasons.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Shadofaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gabhart, two FINE looking bikes you have there ... personally I'm favoring the one in the bottom pic

Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ragtop

I know it would make a dfference if you sold the bike,the speedo reading has to be documented on title.
As far as DMV/state inspection,You could check with your local DMV for info.
As far as warranty issues,the dealer will most likley notice the different gauges.I wounder if the mileage is stored in the computer?
Your insurance co. may question the mileage at renewal also.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shadofaxx

Gabhart, two FINE looking bikes you have there ... personally I'm favoring the one in the bottom pic

Hey thanks! I have been neglecting my Fat Boy due to the more comfortable ride of the Ultra (I have a bad back).

Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I think we have enough people in the world trying to "get over" on absolutely everything. IMHO, you should have the gauge recalibrated by HD to show the correct mileage.

The only reason you should do it... and I think that should be enough.

(Sorry, you asked and so I commented... don't mean to imply you're trying to do anything underhanded, illegal, or question your character... I'm just reading what you wrote about being "caught").

Old 11-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ragtop

So, I just bought a new set of gauges for my EG Standard, upgrading to the streetglide gauge set.
My mileage is at about 5000 miles now, and the new guage was taken off a bike at 1000 miles.
Does this cause any problems? Do I get a free 4000 miles now?
I can't remember if they checked it when I got my sticker, but I know they do with cars.
Guess I'd better call the State of NH tomorrow.
What have others done in this situation?
Thanks for all your help.

Peace
Rags
basically................... yes, you get a free 4000 miles.

but if you want to be "honest" you should get it changed.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

First let me say that I am NOT trying to get a "free" anything, that was just my feeble attempt at humor, show as such by the smiley added....

I started making some calls, first was the place where i got my sticker, and yes they do record the mileage.
They said, they have never heard of this before, and possible I just could just tell the guy doing the sticker, and he
would add the mileage from the first odometer to the second on the vehicle report, (I doubt it), but whow knows, since
this is the same place that never even made me start my bike to get my sticker. I was worried about my Rineharts being too loud, and was amazed that I never had to start it to get inspected.

Then I called the State DMV, and first the lady said, "What, your changing your odometer mileage, what's your name sir??"
I reiterated that I was only changing to a custom speedo that had less mileage on it. She also said that she had never heard
of this before, (really?, like no one has ever done this before???)
She put me on hold for about 20 minutes, then came back and said basically that I had to file a report of the odometer change, and then get a special sticker to put on my bike to show this, and the WORST part is that when I go to sell the bike, that I would have to check "mileage discrepancy" in the title, pretty much branding the bike as TMU!!!

I want to be within the law, but that seems a little harsh, just for changing my speedo for customization reasons.
Who is going to give me anything for my mike when its titled as TMU?? nobody really, it might as well be labeled "salvage"!!!

The I called 2 of the local Harley dealers, and they were both saying , that they never heard of this before, DAMN, that I find hard to believe! What am I, the first guy to do this?? I asked to talk to the parts manager, and he said, "If I bought the speedo from them, they could have it clocked at the factory before they send it to me, for an extra charge, but if I bought it on my own, they didn't know if they could do it or not"

Man, if I though it was going to be this much hassle, I never would have bought these things!
I realize that, by changing the speedo as it is, I would in fact be altering my mileage, but does 4K miles really matter that much?

Again, I'm not trying to be dishonest, and not trying to get around the regulations, just wanted some nice gauges for my scoot!

I will call HD again, to see if they will clock the speedo for me, does anyone know of anyone who does this beside the MOCO?
I realize that it is against the law to "roll back" a speedo, but I'm trying to add mileage to it, so how is that illegal?

The DMV told me that the mileage on the inspection, probably wouldn't raise any flag, unless I went to sell it, and the mileage was lower than the original title says, then I'm guilty of odometer fraud, and having a TMU bike! Sucks....
I know I could STFU, and put the speedo on and add the mileage before my next sticker, but I want to do it the legal way.
In the old days, I would just clock it myself, but's not so easy with an electronic speedo.

Gabhart,
How much difference was there on your speedo's? I assume that you did not have the guage clocked by HD since you said
that you were recording the mileage manually to keep track of it for service reasons. I am surprised that the dealer said not to worry about it, well, its not their azz on the line with the DMV! You can reply by PM if you would rather this information be kept private.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, and the comments!

Peace
Rags

Old 11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try calling again and use a different angle.

Your speedo broke and you need to replace it with a new one.

Lots of speedo's break.

I had to do this on a truck I had years ago. DMV put a sticker in the door jamb with the old speedo's mileage and the new one's... wasn't a problem at selling time since the buyer could see I wasn't trying to hide it.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Rhubarb, That would be a good idea, but I don't want to buy a new one, I already have the new speedo.
I don't mind the sticker on the bike showing the mileage change, but the fact that the DMV said
this procedure would label my blke as "mileage altered" on the title is not acceptable to me.
This type of title would make it more difficult to sell, if I choose to.

Thanks
Rags

Quick Reply: Replacing Speedometer Mileage Difference