Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM Internal error

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Blind Dr
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Internal error

I have a 1997 ultra with EFI. I have made some changes, new cam, air filter kit, and pipes. After installing all of this I took the bike to the dealer to have the ecm reflashed. The dealer tells me they are not able to because they get an internal error. They told me it will connect and shows connected but anyway they try it they get the same problem.

So I ask how the bike can run then. I was told it was running rich enough with the MM injectors and they checked plugs and it was running great. I was also told to just keep running it until the ECM finally died.

My concern is I want it correct. The bike cuts out, hesitates, and does not run smoothly. In town driving sucks and when it gets hot as it is outside now it runs like crap. My check engine like comes on and off all the time and it is very aggravating.

The old guy who checked it told me I needed to have the hot idle cold idle set and it would improve. I am not sure I am buying that at this point. It seems like the ECM is not delivering fuel correctly.

I purchased an ECM from a friend who had a 1998 bike. My local dealer told me it would work on my bike since they were the same model. I am hoping it can be swapped out and the right software installed to get this bike running properly.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is the stock ECM bad? I need some help understanding this before I put anymore time or cash in this bike.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Ryder10
Intermediate

Internal problems occur with reprogramming or could be a case of don't want to go through the trouble of reflashing it. If your buddy gives you a ecm use his and take it to another dealer to get it flashed. Hot and cold idle will need to be adjusted based on your upgrades as well as some kind of tuner to get her to run right

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And could be connectors corroded or loose somehow at the ECM?
Ground?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Blind Dr
Stage IV

Can I swap out the ecm myself without causing any issues?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just plug it in and give it a try. Just don't go out and beat on the motor. You'll be ok and can add a tuner if it solves your issues.