Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT and Brazilian Fuel (20% alcohol)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
paulocouto
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT and Brazilian Fuel (20% alcohol)

My bike is a 2006 Electra Glide Classic and I install (at HD Brazilian Dealer) the 95 kit with SE204 cams, with air, pipes, etc. Brazilian HD don’t have any “official download” for this build, they only had one single map for all TC88 tested with a brazilian gasoline. I’m using a HD Race Fueler, but I had problems with idle and other adjustments. So I bought a SERT from Zannotti’s and will install soon.

At SERT CD, the closest map is #58 (141MJ016) with 25 degrees injector, but it uses SE203 cam, not SE204. But my problem is a little deeper. The brazilian gas is very different that US gas because we had 20~25% alcohol mixture, even the better gas we have (called “Podium”, with 95 octanes) had 20% alcohol. It is a government law…

I never tune any motor before, but I am not a dumb. I know some concepts and that’s why I need some help from you, guys.

In theory, a 100% gasoline (like US…) had a better AFR around 14.6 and our cars that uses 100% alcohol uses AFR around 9.5 so if we use a simple math we find that a Brazilian gasoline had a better AFR around 13.5 (14.6 x 80% plus 9.5 x 20%) so, can I make the map 8% rich with a single adjust at map constant (like displacement or injector size constants)?

This is the better way to “tropicalized” the US maps?

How is the better method? Reduce the injector size or increase the displacement (both make the mixture more “rich”, but I don’t know the exactly proportions they affect the mixture).

I think I will need to make some adjusts at ignition maps too. Do you know the better way to find a better curve? The data mode has some information about detonation, I think this is the way to go…

Unfortunately, in Rio de Janeiro we don’t have a dyno centers or harley specialized tuners. I will need to learn and apply myself the corrections.

By the way, the SE203 cam maps will fit in my 95 SE204? Or I will need to make more adjustments in VE tables?

Thanks
Paulo Couto

Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Default RE: SERT and Brazilian Fuel (20% alcohol)

Fuel here in the great state of Washington is 10% ethanol or greater. I'm running a canned race map for my configuration and it runs fine.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
paulocouto
4th Gear

I think ethanol (100% pure) and alcohol (with 4% water) have diferent chemical caracteristics. alcohol has much less calorific power than gasoline (i dont know about ethanol), thats why 100% alcohol cars runs at 9.5 AFR in brazil.

beside that, our gasoline is very poor (lower calorific power, lower octane than US gas) and we use 20% (or more, last week they increase to 23%) alcohol to up the octane rate (alcohol has more octane than gasoline, but mutch less calorific power)

Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Ethanol is another name for ethal alcohol. It's the same stuff they put in the gas in Brazil. Alcohol distilled from corn. Just because you live south of the equator does not mean that things are dramatically different.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
paulocouto
4th Gear

Maybe you dont know, but in brazil the alcohol is distiled from sugar cane, and it receives 4% or 5% water before became a comercial combustible. I'm not a chemical eng but this shows the diferences about the two "ethanol" products.
beside that, I am talking about gasoline with 20~23% alcohol, this is very diferent that you have in US.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Yes, the Brazilian fuel is VERY different. At my last job there was a project running on it (we had a bunch of barrels of it shipped in).

I didn't pay attention to what was going on though. Wish I could help you more. That weird fuel evaporates FAST! And the barrels were odd too, plastic lined.

I would use a calculator and make changes in percentages. If I get a chance tonight I'll have a look at the maps and see where would be the best spot to make changes.

For the cam differences you are going to have to play with the VE tables. I will also try and call my buddies still working there and ask them what they have found for spark changes.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 AM
paulocouto
4th Gear

thank you, beagle1!
I will wait your return!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Okay, here's what I just found out, from someone I would trust to work on and cal my own EFI anything...

Most likey +50% fuel and some spark advance on Brazil's fuel.

You can use the Data mode and record for Knock and see where to make spark changes if you are to agressive with the spark.

Good Luck to you and enjoy!

Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 AM
paulocouto
4th Gear

Beagle1, 50% more is too much in my opinion. I made some adjusts (8% more in AFR table, +1 point in spark timing under 3000rpm) and the bike runs much better now.
I will try some data record later and ajust a litle more, but I am very satisfy now with this ajust.

I use the SE Platinun plugs, do you know if this plugs works ok with knock retard actions?
I read somewhere about this plugs, and some people recomend stay with original ones and not this platinum, because the ion sensing is diferent and the detonations detections will be diferent.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:08 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I recommended to you in a pm to bump all the VE's by 20 units as a start you would see the VE table numbers go up by 10. When you say tou raised them 8%, do you mean you raised the number in the table by 8 numbers which equals raising the table 16 units. I would like to get an understanding of exactly what you did. Thanksl

Quick Reply: SERT and Brazilian Fuel (20% alcohol)