Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

engine trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 AM
abjones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine trouble codes

Red check engine light on 01 FI fatboy comes on after cranking for about 5 seconds then goes out. Does this indicate there is a trouble code if so can someone tell me how to pull up the codes and what the codes are. Please help

ABJones

Old 11-05-2006, 01:19 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine trouble codes

CEL comes on at startup for a few seconds and goes out as a bulb check. If it comes back on and stays on there is a current code. If it comes back on and goes out a 2nd time there is a historic code.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 956 Likes on 442 Posts

As O.S.E. says, it's historic code. If you're curious what it is (was), turn the ignition on for four seconds, then off for four seconds, then back on. Wait and you'll get a series of flashes; wait some more and it will blink out a code. Count the blinks, report back, and I can tell you what they mean. A service manual is always a handy tool as all this info (and much more) is in it.

Uncle Peepers

Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 AM
denny
6th Gear

Have you looked in this section yet?

https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_247/tt.htm

Old 11-05-2006, 10:21 AM
fsoepyan
Stage I

I had a similar situation.
Started the bike, had a kick back (is this consider a bad start?) during the startup process and then I shut the engine down.
About 30 minutes later, I started the engine, but the CEL came back on a few seconds after the bike started (it dissapeared after a few seconds). Rode the bike, no issues.
The next time I started the bike, same thing happened, the CEL kept coming back on for a few second after startup and then turn itself off. Bike runs fine.

I did a search on the forum archive (https://www.hdforums.com/m_846885/tm.htm) and found that I probably have a history code stored, using the information, I found the Diagnostic Code, which is P1004 System Relay Contacts Closed EFI.
I cleared the code, restart the bike and the CEL stays off.

Does a bad start (such a a kick back) can generate the P1004 Code?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:32 AM
abjones
Advanced

Thanks for the replys on this matter, this must indicate a historic code light comes on second time and goes out after cranking like O.S.E. stated. Tried the four second thing nothing happend. I have a HD service manual for 01 softail it is a little confusing it referencesTSM- Turn Signal Module/ TSSM- Turn Signal Security Module. My bike does not have a security system, tryied what it said for TSM ECM equiped bike still no luck calling up codes. Tried another method using run switch on, hold in odometer reset button in, turn ignition on. It does go to some kind of code but all I can do is scroll through a list of about 10 bits of info do1clr thru do10clr then PPU then the #82883 and goes back to do1clr. I got this from the fourm section Denny pointed out. Help!

ABJones

Old 11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01 cannot read engine, tsm and other module codes through the speedo - you need a scan tool. You are looking at speedometer diagnostics right now only.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 PM
abjones
Advanced

Thanks O.S.E. for the help. Will have to get my wrench to take a look see.

ABJones

Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM
FLHSbob
Cruiser

Uncle Peepers,
What manual are you referring to in repect to diagnostic/historic codes? I have an 2007 FLHTCU Service Manual and can't find anything in it that addresses diagnostic codes, etc.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHSbob

Uncle Peepers,
What manual are you referring to in repect to diagnostic/historic codes? I have an 2007 FLHTCU Service Manual and can't find anything in it that addresses diagnostic codes, etc.
Thanks,
Bob
That would be the Electric Diagnostics Manual, separate from the service manual. HD had to make three separate manuals (service, parts, electric diagnostic) because making one big one would be too easy and wouldn't get them as much money

Quick Reply: engine trouble codes