Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

A few questions on the PV Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Takedown
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A few questions on the PV Tuner

I believe the tune currently on my bike is close but I am getting some detonation when I roll on the throttle hard. That has led me to looking at tuners and I am considering the PV but I have a couple of questions. Is using the PV easy to learn? Also, my bike is not equipped with O2 sensors so I would not be able to use the Auto Tune feature. So without Auto Tune would I still benefit from owning the PV and be able to tune my bike somewhat?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Are you able to make adjustments to the MAP on your bike now? What system are you running or is it an HD download? You can use the autotune feature if your exhaust has o2 bungs in them. Some pipes have the bungs in and have plugs screwed into them.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Takedown
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not have O2 plugs on the bike. Currently the bike has a map installed with the SEPST. I bought the bike used and received the tuner but not the software or cables.

So I was thinking I could possibly get the PV and save the current map and tweak it. From reading it seems like the PV is user friendly and I like that you do not have to have a lap top hooked up to flash the ECM. I have a desk top and not a lap top so I guess I can data record and take the unit to my desk top to view and edit?

Just trying to research prior to purchase.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Takedown
I do not have O2 plugs on the bike. Currently the bike has a map installed with the SEPST. I bought the bike used and received the tuner but not the software or cables.

So I was thinking I could possibly get the PV and save the current map and tweak it. From reading it seems like the PV is user friendly and I like that you do not have to have a lap top hooked up to flash the ECM. I have a desk top and not a lap top so I guess I can data record and take the unit to my desk top to view and edit?

Just trying to research prior to purchase.
Yes you could retrieve the current calibration from the bike and tweak it. You are also correct that you could use the PV to collect data and adjust the map on your desktop. You will need O2 sensors to tune the VE tables either stock O2 sensors or wide band sensors with auto tune. The PV has value without sensors but you get more information to tweak the tune with sensors