Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

To PCV or Not to PCV? Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To PCV or Not to PCV? Need Advice

My wife gave me permission for Father's Day to order a PCV tomorrow if I want . . .

Not sure I should or need it. Here is the situation.

Bought a low mileage 03 SERK two years ago . . . I am the third owner, just had 3700 miles on it when I got it . . . now only has 5700 miles (but my health has returned and I am ready to tweak the bike and start wearing out some tires!). Have done nothing to it save securing a matching removable chopped tour pack . . . till now . . . doing my little add-ons.

The bike came with an SE Stage I kit installed (HD high flow filter), V&H slip ons (which I love and never intend to change), and perhaps, just perhaps, was remapped . . . but I do not know for sure . . . there was no opportunity to ask the two previous owners . . . one in Wisconsin, one in Florida, and me in GA.).

(My gas mileage is about 32 mpg, and never really pops on deceleration . . . just every once in a great while--like once every 100 miles or so). But it runs smooth.

I am adding Wild 1 Chubby mini-apes now, auxillary lights, highway pegs, Harleygoodies floorboard extensions.

I am thinking about an SE Heavy Breather (for looks not sure it will be better preforming). I have of course EFI.

Rest is stock 103 as it came from the factory.

Would adding a PCV make any sense, since I do not plan to change pipes, and maybe not even change to a Heavy Breather since of have the HD stage 1 on it now? Just because the wife says I can, I want to spend my dollars wisely. Or, should I spend the $300 on something else for the scoot?

What do you all recommend . . . to PCV or not to PCV?

Or forgo the PCV and keep it set up like I have got it and buy some other accessories I might like?

I really am looking for opinions before I call our friends at Fuelmoto tomorrow and pull the trigger on the PCV.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

You can take it to a dyno shop and see if they can sniff the A/F for you to see where you are at. They should check your A/F at cruising speeds, at idle and might as well throw in a few full throttle passes to see what it's doing. I would suspect that at 32 MPG you are already running pretty rich, so chances are you would be fine they way it is to switch to the heavy breather. I would assume if you don't already have a PC on it that it has at a minimum of a download from HD in it, or it has previously been tuned with a SERT. The benefits a adding a PC are huge though, if MAPped properly it will give you optimum fuel economy, and optimum performance. Not to mention it'll run great in all the ranges. If you get the PC now, it'll be one less thing you would need if you ever decide to do furure upgrades. Just keep in mind that if you do get one and your bike already has a stage 1 download from HD, you wouldn't want to install the PC MAP for your set up, since it will adjust the current MAP on your bike it would be way to rich. You would want to fine a MAP for your setup and a stage 1 download. they are out there. you can always take it to a dealer and have them hook it up to digital tech and read the current ECM calibration, that would tell you if it has a DL or has a SERT MAP on it.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered the PCV from Fuelmoto yesterday . . . looking forward to getting it on.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I would call Fuel Moto, who sells a number of different tuners including the PCV, and ask their advice. I would think you'd need to determine your present state of tune, i.e. if it has SERT installed and if not if it has the HD Stage 1 download. A PCV from Fuel Moto is about the best tuner option on the market for the money, IMO, since their maps are reputably very accurate and based on dyno tunes of bikes with like hardware installed.

They will steer you in the right direction even if it means they'll lose a sale. Their service after the sale is excellent and they give a double warranty on PC's.