Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

new plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 PM
ottoblotto
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plug wires

hello all, question about plug wires: bought some thundervolt 50 cables from kuryakyn. since i replaced the stock wires with these, the bike feels sluggish. did i have to disconnect the batt or something to reset computers or something??? what am i missing? just feels like since installing them, i dont get the throttle response like i used to. not sure if its me or what, just what it feels like. shes an 04 fxstbi with forcewinder intake and supertrapp legends xpipe exhaust and been tuned by hd. anyone have similar experience? they were supposed to give me a boost in performance not hinderance... thanks![sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new plug wires

The cables are not compatible with the ION sense feature. One or both of 2 things is happening. 1) The bike thinks it is knocking and pulling massive amounts of timing. 2) the bike thinks it is misfiring and is adding massive amounts of fuel. The OE spark plug cables and wires are used as sensors for the ION (knock) sense feature. If you have the EFI Tuner you can turn ION sense off. If not, reinstall your old cables and the bike will be itself again!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
ottoblotto
Intermediate

thanks for the info. albeit not what i wanted to hear... any other choices? could i disconnect the batt and then reconnect and have her run at idle for a bit? ive been lookin at the tuners and from what i can tell they run in the mid 300s... i paid almost 50bux for these wires, id really like to use them. and if ion sense were diabled, how does that affect the rest of the bikes performance? thanks!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

300 bucks for wires!!! 50 bucks is too much, IMO. The stock wires work just fine. When they need replaced the 13 buck SE wires do a good job and come in a couple of colors for guys wanting some bling.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Dosconnect the battery till the cows come home - it won't change a thing. You have 2 solutions. 86 the wires or buy an SERT and turn off ion sense. The bike will run just like it always did except the ecm will no longer monitor for what it thinks is no combustion or knocking - which is what your overpriced and unnecessary wires are causing it to think it has.

As far as power gained from plug wires, I can take a bike and make a dyno run. Then you tell me if you want more or less power and I'll make the dyno read it by manipulating the way I run the bike or the temp...get the picture.

Not trying to pop your big red balloon, but the money you spent on the wires would be better off in other go fast parts. I would sell them on E-Bay and chalk it up to experience.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 AM
ottoblotto
Intermediate

not 300 for wires, thats what the tuners are running. thanks for the info ose, guess theyll be on ebay alright... but ill make sure to mention the info you gave me... sigh.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Just swap the wires and you'll see the difference. I know it sucks.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
ottoblotto
Intermediate

well i swapped the wires back and sure as shimmy, shes running great again... powers back and i feel really good throttle response. thanks for the info once again. lesson learned. but now... should i get a sert??? hmm... after doing some research on those, it looks like a nifty upgrade. guess ill post to see what folks think.