Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Chinese LED tail lights...no instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Pete838
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese LED tail lights...no instructions

So I bought a replacement tail light for the 03' Sportster. The OEM one with the wedge bulb kept shaking the bulb loose, and the previous owner removed the turn signals.
The new setup is a fine piece of equipment from China with LED lights. It has red for running lights and stop lights, and integrated amber turn signals. It did not include instructions, and the seller is not able to provide instructions.
Brake and turn are a simple plug into the tail light deutsch connector. The turn signals, though, are 2 bare yellow wires out of the tail light, and they light up the respective sides when energized with +12v. Also included in the package were small ceramic sticks with a wire coming out of each end, probably 3/8" square by 2" long, but I don't know what these are for or what to do with them.
So my problem is this. The turn signals light up constant when I press the button on the handlebars, but they don't flash. Brake and running lights work fine. Are the little ceramic sticks some kind of resistor that will cause the flasher to work? I don't want to hook them up wrong and toast them, especially not knowing what they are, how to connect them, or where to get another one if I do it wrong.

Thanks a bunch in advance, Pete

P.S. Spare me the speech on buying Chinese crap off of eBay. If you can't offer some type of useful insight or entertaining commentary just don't reply.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 AM
jeepedest
Outstanding HDF Member

Horrible product friend bought one didn't fit and ended up braking it try to retro fit it

Old 05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete838
So I bought a replacement tail light for the 03' Sportster. The OEM one with the wedge bulb kept shaking the bulb loose, and the previous owner removed the turn signals.
The new setup is a fine piece of equipment from China with LED lights. It has red for running lights and stop lights, and integrated amber turn signals. It did not include instructions, and the seller is not able to provide instructions.
Brake and turn are a simple plug into the tail light deutsch connector. The turn signals, though, are 2 bare yellow wires out of the tail light, and they light up the respective sides when energized with +12v. Also included in the package were small ceramic sticks with a wire coming out of each end, probably 3/8" square by 2" long, but I don't know what these are for or what to do with them.
So my problem is this. The turn signals light up constant when I press the button on the handlebars, but they don't flash. Brake and running lights work fine. Are the little ceramic sticks some kind of resistor that will cause the flasher to work? I don't want to hook them up wrong and toast them, especially not knowing what they are, how to connect them, or where to get another one if I do it wrong.

Thanks a bunch in advance, Pete

P.S. Spare me the speech on buying Chinese crap off of eBay. If you can't offer some type of useful insight or entertaining commentary just don't reply.
Have you tried to google the manufacturer of the product? Sometimes on Ebay the sellers of the same items (especially from China) have instructions posted in the item description.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

those ceramic sticks are load equalizers. in order to get the LEDs to work properly in turn signal function on your particular bike you will need to install them. now that you know what they are, you're back to your initial issue which is no instructions. sorry, wish I could help with that but a search turns up nothing

Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ok found something that tells me the 2 ends of the load equalizers connect across the + and - of the turn signal wiring

Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

你得到你所支付

Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

so now that's done. some theory.. load euqalizers are not required on LED brake lights because there is no "timed" circuitry involved, its simply an off and on circuit . Turn signals are different because they use a timed pulse from a relay (ultimately the relay gets it's timed sequence from the TSM or TSSM) which can get out of sync. The resistor (which is what a load equalizer is) is also designed to add more load to a circuit so the TSM doesn't think a bulb is burnt, hence the reason for no flash.

hope that helps you Pete838

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-11-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

我完全同意ColoSpgsMark

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
你得到你所支付