Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011 | 06:36 PM
mattv87
|
Stage II
Default turn signal problems

I have an 87 fxstc, when i hit my turn signals they would blink normal for a couple seconds then flash super fast until it would eventually be a solid light. well i put a new solid state flasher in and now it doesn't blink at all. it is just a solid light. cant figure it out. thanks for looking, matt

Old 06-10-2011 | 09:55 AM
easyziggy
4th Gear
Default suspect a bad ground

Matt, many years ago, I had the same exact problem with a sportscar I owned. I know you're thinking "but I have a motorcycle!". True, but the principles are the same. In my case it was the left T/S doing this only. It would blink a few times, and then a steady light.

I had a very difficult time of tracing the cause of this problem. ( I had to remove the entire instrument panel, it was a rare Italian exotic, and I had no schematic to work from.)

The cause was a loose ground connection in the T/S wiring circuit. You will have to trace the wiring harness path and examine the wiring connection points. Betcha you're gonna find a loose or rusty connection. Especially likely, given the fact you have an older bike.

Tedious, yes, but think of all the money you will save DIY!

Hope this helps.

Ziggy