Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ping not shown in logs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Pass
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping not shown in logs??

I've been having ping issues since I bought the bike (new). I have been trying to resolve this issue with tuning and different gas etc. Now that the PowerVision auto-tune software is out I have been logging and auto-tuning. The ping has persisted. However, I have noticed that is several of the logs there is no spark knock shown when I know that I heard it happening more than once. Some logs show spark knock retard 4deg.

So basically either the damn ECM isn't seeing the knock... or there is something else that sounds exactly like ping but isn't. Any ideas?? What could cause the system to not detect ping? Or what can sound EXACTLY like ping... but not be ping??

Stats:
2011 FLTRU
103"
Jackpot 2-1-2 headers
Stage 1 AC
Dynojet PowerVision

I do have several log and maps that I can email if anyone needs/wants to see them.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are using stock spark plug wires, right?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by ColdCase
You are using stock spark plug wires, right?
Yes, I should have specified. I am running stock plugs and wires... in fact they are the original ones from purchase. Bike was purchased in April, it now has approx 5900mi on it.

Logs sometimes show the knock... sometimes they don't.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pass we should bring this into the Vision tuning thread. I'm seeing the same issue now that I finished calibrating my bike. It's not bad but I definitely hear some pinging that the vision is not picking up. Jamie and I think DJ are watching that thread and this could potentially be some kind of logging bug or it could be the ECM is not seeing it but they need to know about it.

Ron

Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by FX4
Pass we should bring this into the Vision tuning thread. I'm seeing the same issue now that I finished calibrating my bike. It's not bad but I definitely hear some pinging that the vision is not picking up. Jamie and I think DJ are watching that thread and this could potentially be some kind of logging bug or it could be the ECM is not seeing it but they need to know about it.

Ron
I briefly made Jamie aware of it over the phone... but I figured that I was the only one. If there are more of us having this problem then maybe there is more to it. Have you already posted this up in that thread?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No I have not, I just finished riding my final tune with no adjustments. I wanted to make sure all the pinging was gone and it's not. Don't get me wrong the bike is extremely ridable and running well but I can make it ping in some boundary conditions and it's not being recorded.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pass
I've been having ping issues since I bought the bike (new). I have been trying to resolve this issue with tuning and different gas etc. Now that the PowerVision auto-tune software is out I have been logging and auto-tuning. The ping has persisted. However, I have noticed that is several of the logs there is no spark knock shown when I know that I heard it happening more than once. Some logs show spark knock retard 4deg.

So basically either the damn ECM isn't seeing the knock... or there is something else that sounds exactly like ping but isn't. Any ideas?? What could cause the system to not detect ping? Or what can sound EXACTLY like ping... but not be ping??

I do have several log and maps that I can email if anyone needs/wants to see them.
I don't know if this is related, as I'm not getting any audible knock at all, but I'm seeing occasional knock-retard events in the PV logs, but only at about 60 kpa and 2000-2200 rpm. It almost always starts at 2° and gradually backs-off to 1° and .5°, then back to normal in the span of maybe 20-30ms.

I've noticed that these coincide with lean spikes that reveal Lambda readings of 1.15-1.17, which are far leaner than normal, as it should be running no more than 1.0 in that range. I haven't zeroed-in on the cause yet but I'm going to change my in-tank fuel hoses and filter next week, as I may have a high-pressure leak inside the tank. I'm also going to check the vent tube, as any of these may cause a lean spike.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I don't know if this is related, as I'm not getting any audible knock at all, but I'm seeing occasional knock-retard events in the PV logs, but only at about 60 kpa and 2000-2200 rpm. It almost always starts at 2° and gradually backs-off to 1° and .5°, then back to normal in the span of maybe 20-30ms.

I've noticed that these coincide with lean spikes that reveal Lambda readings of 1.15-1.17, which are far leaner than normal, as it should be running no more than 1.0 in that range. I haven't zeroed-in on the cause yet but I'm going to change my in-tank fuel hoses and filter next week, as I may have a high-pressure leak inside the tank. I'm also going to check the vent tube, as any of these may cause a lean spike.
Hey Click... Over on the dark side we had a very similar problem. Tried all kinds of stuff, and it appeared to look like the bike was just coming out of closed loop and the spark knock would spike and the afr really go high, too.

What we finally did was change out the base map and start over. THAT worked for us.

Do you guys have different maps you can try? If so... after fiddling with it a bit, try a map change and tell us what you think.

WT

Old 06-04-2011, 12:58 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it’s not pinging. Maybe the noise you here is valve clatter. Check your spark plugs.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Pass
Advanced

Definitely not valve clatter. The valve train sounds nothing like detonation. It sounds more like a raging sewing machine. The sound I hear sounds exactly like pinging.

I'm thinking it may be that it is either happening at such little aggression or so fast that the sensors don't pick it up or attempt to retard it. Since the logs will only show knock retard..

Quick Reply: Ping not shown in logs??