Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Load Equilizer for LED Lights? Do I need one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM
griggi63
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load Equilizer for LED Lights? Do I need one?

Recently purchased a 2011 Ultra. Would like to replace the turn signal/ running lamps with LEDs. I cant seem to get a straight answer on whether or not i need a load equilizer for the difference in the wattage. I found some really nice lights from Drag Specialities 2020-0117 , that seem to be pretty much exact replica of what is on the bike now only with LED bulbs... Hoping someone can tell me if these are basically plug and play or I need to have some sort of load equilizer installed.

thanks.

PS I'm new here , so if i did anything out of protocol, i apologize.

thanks again

Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
cjlandry
Road Master

If you're only replacing either the front or rear signals, and you don't mind the "rapid flash" mode (stock unit behaves like an old flasher and flashes rapidly when it "sees" a burned out filament), then you're good to go. If you want it to flash normally, then an equalizer will be needed. Or if you're replacing front and rear with LED's, an equalizer will be needed.

There are other options available, if all you want to do is replace incandescent lamps with LED's. Since you say these are basically a replica of the OEM's, you can save a few coins by getting a "plug in" LED unit. Basically it's just an LED board that fits inside your stock turn signal housing, and is wired into an 1156 or 1157 base. You remove the incandescent lamp, plug the LED module into the lamp socket, and put the lens back in place. That's it. You're done.

These units come in red and amber, so you can either use the stock lens, or you can install clear or smoked lenses to make it look even better.

Here are the red units I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TK3TPO

Here are amber: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tomotive&psc=1

Note: These are dual intensity, which means they replace the 1157 lamps, not the 1156. 1156 single intensity LED modules are available.

Straight answer: You can get an LED module like this, plug it in and try it, and if you don't like the results you can either switch right back to the incandescent lamps, or you can get an equalizer to solve the rapid-flash situation.

Personally, I'm gonna try paralleling some resistors across the circuit to simulate the load of an incandescent filament. If this works, I'll have spent less than a dollar to get the same results.

I'm in Iraq at the moment, so I won't get to try this until I get home. Probably in a week or two. I'll post the results in this forum.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
griggi63
1st Gear

Thank you very much. I guess i'm still puzzled as to why the drag specialties would need a load equalizer , i figure that it is the same set up as the parts you referred to , the only difference being these are already installed in a light housing. but that you very much for your info, if i cant get any answers from drag specialties as to whether or not i can use them without the equalizer i will most likely go with the lights from radiantz. thanks again!! and thank you for your service!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
cjlandry
Road Master

No problem. Regarding my service, it's been years since I was in the Marines. I'm only in Iraq to help them them get some oil rigs running. Spent most of the past 3 years here, with a few days at home here and there. My work here is almost done.

If you can wait a week or two, send me a PM. I'll let you know how it works out with using resistors as "load equalizers". (I'm pretty sure that's all the aftermarket units are, anyway)