Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

right turn signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 AM
tattoofever
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default right turn signals not working

ok im stumped let me explain , its a 2003 softail standard fuel injected
just finished my winter work (or so i thought) saterday all the lights where working fine until they stopped
now left side is fine the right side wont flash (ft or rear) the running light lights but no flash it doesnt even light on the dash
they where working and i nevr took bike from garage so its not like bumpping on the rd might have lossened somthing ,heres some back round

over the winter i installed apes
kurakyan ft driving lights with turn signals built in
rear led turn signals and brake light
load eq for the back
replaced headlight
the list goes on but thats all the lighting stuff ,when i did the bars i replaced the switches so those are new also the wires that came with switches had 70 inches of wire so all my sodered connections are outside the bars under the tank
like i said everything was working fine UNTILL i installed the headight
it is a cheap chinese headlight it only had low beam so i tryed to make it high /low by changing bulb im assumming i mix3d up the wires somhow when i connected them to headlightbecause thats when issues started
heres what i did-- i put the black wire from bike to center of 3 prong bulb
and the yellow on one side and white on other side
it seemed to be working fine had high and low BUT the high beam indicator light stayed on with both heres where i made my major mistake
i just got the bike running and didnt want to shut it off i had to run in house for a soda when i got back headlight was filled with smoke but still working and never popped the fuse so i shut it right down dissconected head light and took it off bike but now i have no right side blinker the running light works but like i said it doesnt even light up on the dash

so far ive taken switch housing right off just to see if i pinched a wire and that all seems fine
checked all my ground connections and there all tight
checked all the fuses
dissconnected the rear just incase it was a bad load eq
checked all the lights and there tight
swaped the rear wires left to right and that changed the issue to other side so lights are good ( at least in back ,didnt do ft yet )

ive been searching old post for most of the night and have been up since 500 am because things like this wont leave my mind until its fixed i actully had dreams about it so ya im weird lol
so if your still with me heres my question
is there a way to reset the turn signal module?
could the headlight issue have smoked a ground wire if so where would be a good place to start looking

or any other advise would be great

Last edited by tattoofever; 05-29-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: had to ad bike
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a jumper to apply voltage to the signal filament (or LED), just to see if it lights up. If it does, then at least that ground is good. If not, then move your jumper to ground and switch it on. This way you'll know if it's a problem in the hot or the ground side of the lamp.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 AM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm weird, too, because I also dream about problems when I haven't solved them by the time I go to bed.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
tattoofever
Tourer

ill give that a try ,thank's for the help ,been working on this bike all winter whenever i had spare time and fianally had it ready to roll yesterday now this happens ,had a nice ride planned for today my buddy was gonna let me us ehis sons bike but there no way i can ride thinking about this all day

Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 AM
tattoofever
Tourer

Well after pulling the tank once again ,seems that's where all the good connectors hide I was able to track down a bad switch
On the right side
Funny thing is when I did the bars I bought brand new switches with wires long enough so there wouldn't be any solder joints in bars , I'm glad I saved my old one sucked having to do all this crap but nothing beats the ear to ear smile I had when it started blinking
Thanks for the help