Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Choosing a Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:38 PM
cincypiper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing a Starter

Hi All:

I ride a 1994 Tour Glide, Stage One and no plans for much more engine hop up, commute on it daily rain or shine, or cold. After following the troubleshooting tips on this forum, I've decided that I need to replace my starter and solenoid. And I might as well do a voltage regulator while I'm at it. I see prices in the JPCycles catalogs and it sure looks like you can spend alot of money on "too much electric".

I am in no mood for overdoing it, but I don't want to replace these parts for another 5 years. Can you guys make some recommendations for wattage rankings (is 1.4kW too much), voltage draw, perhaps even some brand recommendations?

JP Cycles offers voltage regulators made by American Motorcycle Hardware and Cycle Electric, and for starters there's Drag Specialties, Powermaster, and Terry Components.

Thanks much

Mike