Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Are you smarter than a harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
roadking1740
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you smarter than a harley dealer

I KNOW THAT THERE IS SOMEBODY ON HERE SMARTER THAN MY HD DEALER. I OWN A 2000 SCREAMING EAGLE ROAD GLIDE WHICH STILL LOOKS BRAND NEW AND HAS 58,000 ON IT. I BOUGHT IT 1 MONTH AGO. HERE IS THE ISSUE: WHEN I COME TO A COMPLETE STOP AT A LIGHT AND BEGIN TO PROCEED ON GREEN I GET ABOUT 10 YARDS AND THE BIKE JUST CUTS OFF ON ME. I PULL TO THE SIDE LET IT SIT FOR 1 MINUTE AND IT STARTS RIGHT UP. THIS HAS HAPPENED AT LEAST 12 TIMES IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS. BROUGHT IT TO HD DEALER AND THEY KEPT IT 3 DAYS AND TOOK IT OUT ON THE ROAD 4 TIMES AND A TOTAL OF 28 MILES. THEIR RESPONSE TO ME IS THAT SINCE THEY WERE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE CONTION THAT THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. THEY SAID THE BIKE DOES NOT PRODUCE AND CODES. WTF KIND OF ANSWER IS THIS? DO THEY THINK IM MAKING IT UP? I BROUGHT IT HOME YESTERDAY AND TODAY I RODE 15 MILES AND IT HAPPENED 3 TIMES. I DID FIND OUT THAT THERE WAS A RECALL ON THIS BIKE ON THE MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER WHICH WAS A 40 AMP AND WAS REPLACED WITH A 50 AMP. HD HAS VERIFIED THAT THE RECALL WAS PERFORMED ON THE BIKE. I TOLD THEM TO CHANGE OUT THE BREAKER AND PUT A NEW 50 AMP IN SINCE ONLY $8.
I AM PLANNING TO DRIVE FROM PHILA TO PITT TOMMORROW BUT AFRAID OF THE PROBLEM CAUSING ME TO GET REAR ENDED. THE LADY I AM VISITING REALLY WANTS ME TO BRING THE HD BUT IM THINKING OF BRINGING MY DEPENDABLE BIKE, A 2000 HONDA VALKYRIE INTERSTATE.
IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT MAY HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO LEADING TO A POSSIBLE SOLUTION. THANKS!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed or the fuel pickup was checked for cracks?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM
roadking1740
1st Gear

Thanks for your reply. I only bought the bike a month ago and the dealer did not have any service records so i dont know. The bike does have 58k on it. Would the symtoms that i described be caused by either of those 2 things? If it was your bike would you just have them replaced? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

when you say "cut off" do you lose all power including electrical or do the electronics remain functional?

Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are losing all electricity when it dies, change out the main circuit breaker for an inline fuse. 04 and later HDs had the inline fuse relocated to the right side cover due to this issue. If the bike dies, try turning off everything electrical and see if you still have the same problem. My 03 Ultra would run fine with everything except headlight on low turned off but as soon as I started adding spots, stereo, etc it would start dying again. My bike had the recall done but the upgraded circuit breaker was failing. You can go with a 40 Amp inline fuse and you should have no issues.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer your other questions, I would also replace the fuel filter and inspect the lines inside the tank while you're doing that. If it were my bike I would also replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, and engine temp sensor just to ensure no issues with those components. They are all low cost items.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:00 AM
roadking1740
1st Gear

Thanks guys for your input and i will have low cost items replaced. When the bike cuts off i do not lose electrical. All electrics stay on and bike will restart after 1 minute.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fuel problem. Is the bike injected? Could be any number of things. Filter, Injector wire, Fuel pump, Hole in fuel line. Clogged petcock. MM injection is a bitch to tune right.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 AM
roadking1740
1st Gear

Yes, the bike is injected

Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

if the bike sounds like it's starving for fuel before it dies, then I'd be looking at the fuel system. If not, I would be looking at spark.

Sounds to me like when you go to take off, something is robbing your ignition system of power to the point it's starving it for spark. If you haven't already, they're cheap so replace the spark plugs and wires. If the problem persists, then take a look at the ignition coil. there are a ton of posts on here showing step by step on checking your coil.

Quick Reply: Are you smarter than a harley dealer