Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Are you smarter than a harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check your crank position sensor. Sometimes these go bad and they do not throw codes. A symptom may be that when you stop, the bike idle rhythm sounds different - then it cuts out. In other words before you even twist the grip to take off it sounds funny or different.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tick Tock is right. Also, those fuel tank ideas sound good. Now... go fill the tank and see if it does it. If the internal hose in the tank springs a leak... it only starves at about 1/2 a tank.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
jstdadd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuts Off

Last weekend I had my 2006 Heritage Softail towed in from the road, it just cut off (did it a couple of times that day, each time restarted!) I also had an engine cough when I would hit a hard bump.

The dealer replaced the "System Relay" which is a $5.00 part. Mine is located under the seat and plugs into the fuse block. There are two relays, one for starter (Black) and the System Relay (Grey).

The System Relay powers the fuel pump; if it fails, the fuel pump shuts down. You might have OBD codes for intermittent fuel pump, fuel pressure or something like that.

For $5.00, it's a quick troubleshooting tip. I plan on carrying a spare from now on.

No more coughing on bumps, also.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
roadking1740
1st Gear

I just wanted to thank you guys so much for the postings. I now have a lot of cheap fixes and I will do those and repost
later. I want to take it to Laconia the week after next and so does my lady friend. If not I will bring the Honda Valkyrie Interstate which never has issues.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:31 PM
isellem
Cruiser

Magneti Marelli EFI (used in your FLTRUSE) is a funny/finicky system with very few diagnostic tools available. Keep in mind that H-D had only been using EFI for about 5yrs when they made your motorcycle, so it was relatively new to them. I hate that your dlr wasn't able to reproduce the issue on their test rides. We (dlrs) have become rather gunshy of throwing parts at a bike due to customers getting upset that we would try something in hopes for finding the fix. When your motorcycle dies, immediately look down and see if your check engine light is on, even for a brief second. If it is, it is throwing a code and not saving it. That info will definitely help the mechanic who will work on your bike. Otherwise, I think you've got some good ideas to take a look at. If your lights flash at all, pull the speed sensor and see if there are any metal fragments on it. If so, clean it off and re-install. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
THE rickybobby
Intermediate

Amen to BLKBAGGER. That bike has Magnetti -Marelli injection, Harley switched to Delphi in 02 or 03 and many of the techs have never been trained on the MM. My 01 RK was doing the same **BUT** I was able to re-start immediately (once it re-primed) so maybe not the same issue.
In my case they had to tune out a dead-spot at a point just above idle, but before they found a tech familiar with MM they were telling me I had an after-market EFI that they don't service.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
sinisterbluehd
Novice

I have a 2000 FLHTCUI, and I have the same problems. I have so far blown my stator, three Power Commanders, and replaced the recalled 40 amp circuit breaker twice with 50 amp circuit breakers. I have traced every possible electrical wire on my bike.Most of the people have told me this is a heat related issue. The circuit breaker is too close the rear jug. Over time, the spring in the circuit breaker gets weaker due to the heat, and prematurely opens.The solutions i have been offered are to relocate the circuit breaker under the right side cover. if yours has the Magneti Marelli ECU, there is some space under it to accomplish moving it. I have fought with mine for over 2 years trying this and that. it is a very poor design and most dealerships will not take the time to try and help you, unless it's a new bike. Check out the thread I posted on this same issue, there are some good ideas. Don't leave the house without knowing how you will get your bike towed home.......it will strand you eventually. Good luck man.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
prof9
4th Gear

I had the same issue with a 2008 Street Glide and the same unhelpful response from the
Dealer. The bike was under warranty so I called Milwaukee and told them that because of
My reading on Hd forums I knew was not a unique issue and there would be a lawsuit
Unless they covered the repairs. They called the dealer and the entire throttle by wire system was replaced at no cost and I never had the problem again. Good luck.
Prof9

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
jdhd4ever
Stage IV

I am assuming that this is fuel injected..right? Magnetti Morelli is famous for this, replace the fuel pump relay and your troubles will be gone. My bike did the same thing. I figured it out.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
drj9999
5th Gear

Originally Posted by roadking1740
I KNOW THAT THERE IS SOMEBODY ON HERE SMARTER THAN MY HD DEALER. I OWN A 2000 SCREAMING EAGLE ROAD GLIDE WHICH STILL LOOKS BRAND NEW AND HAS 58,000 ON IT. I BOUGHT IT 1 MONTH AGO. HERE IS THE ISSUE: WHEN I COME TO A COMPLETE STOP AT A LIGHT AND BEGIN TO PROCEED ON GREEN I GET ABOUT 10 YARDS AND THE BIKE JUST CUTS OFF ON ME. I PULL TO THE SIDE LET IT SIT FOR 1 MINUTE AND IT STARTS RIGHT UP. THIS HAS HAPPENED AT LEAST 12 TIMES IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS. BROUGHT IT TO HD DEALER AND THEY KEPT IT 3 DAYS AND TOOK IT OUT ON THE ROAD 4 TIMES AND A TOTAL OF 28 MILES. THEIR RESPONSE TO ME IS THAT SINCE THEY WERE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE CONTION THAT THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. THEY SAID THE BIKE DOES NOT PRODUCE AND CODES. WTF KIND OF ANSWER IS THIS? DO THEY THINK IM MAKING IT UP? I BROUGHT IT HOME YESTERDAY AND TODAY I RODE 15 MILES AND IT HAPPENED 3 TIMES. I DID FIND OUT THAT THERE WAS A RECALL ON THIS BIKE ON THE MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER WHICH WAS A 40 AMP AND WAS REPLACED WITH A 50 AMP. HD HAS VERIFIED THAT THE RECALL WAS PERFORMED ON THE BIKE. I TOLD THEM TO CHANGE OUT THE BREAKER AND PUT A NEW 50 AMP IN SINCE ONLY $8.
I AM PLANNING TO DRIVE FROM PHILA TO PITT TOMMORROW BUT AFRAID OF THE PROBLEM CAUSING ME TO GET REAR ENDED. THE LADY I AM VISITING REALLY WANTS ME TO BRING THE HD BUT IM THINKING OF BRINGING MY DEPENDABLE BIKE, A 2000 HONDA VALKYRIE INTERSTATE.
IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT MAY HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO LEADING TO A POSSIBLE SOLUTION. THANKS!
So what was the final solution to the problem you described here? I have virtually the same problem (HD Dealer challenge included) on a 2000 FLHTCUI and have yet to get it solved. The dealer is also telling me that there is nothing more they can do for me as the problem has not replicated for them and is not throwing error codes so they are at a loss (very sad indeed). They are recommending throwing my $'s at the problem through parts replacement, which seems to be a very expensive and "haphazard" way to go about it. Any advice?

Quick Reply: Are you smarter than a harley dealer