Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

need help - SE super tuner vs PCV

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ssrgeoff
Sorry to sidetrack this for one quick question, but on stock bike is it possible for an 02 to go bad? If it does will it make the bike lean out? Only reason I asked is the front cylinder O2 had some black on the sensor while the rear was a chalky white... With the new exhaust now I can clearly see its leaned itself out since the pipe was glowing red. Thanks for any info and sorry to hijack.

Anything can go bad. But remember the stock o2 sensors are narrow band, meaning they only have the capability to read a certain paramiter of air fuel, if you bike was way off on it's tune (or not tuned at all) and it was lean out of range of the o2 sensor, the ECM will not be able to adjust. Is your bike throwing any codes? Feel free to pm me or start a new topic if you don't want this to get further off topic.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts
Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
mailmanhugh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by papifun
when using the PCV, you have to disconnect the 02 Sensors where they are plugged into the bikes harness and use terminating plugs onto the harness that the 02 sensors that would plug into... the PCV without Auto Tune option, overrides the 02 sensors on your exhaust.. the Terminating plugs just lets the ECM think the 02 sensors are conncected and not to throw any error codes or engine light on..
Let me see if I understand this. I'm considering a set of V & H Dresser Duals, with 4 inch rinehart slipons, and a big sucker AC with a PC V. If I go with the PC V, the O2 Sensors are disabled somehow? Why is that? Is the same true if the SERT is used?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mailmanhugh
Let me see if I understand this. I'm considering a set of V & H Dresser Duals, with 4 inch rinehart slipons, and a big sucker AC with a PC V. If I go with the PC V, the O2 Sensors are disabled somehow? Why is that? Is the same true if the SERT is used?
The PCV (5) is an add on to the HD ECM, It basically intecepts signals to and from the ECM, so in order for the system to work, it has to "trick" the ECM in a few area. 1 of them is the o2 sensors. The o2 eliminators trick the ECM into thinking that the feedback from the sensors is ideal, therefore the ECM will not attempt to make adjustments to air fuel. The other systems like the SERT, SEPST and the TTS do not use o2 eliminators. Since you are actually tuning the VE tables in the MAP in the ECM, there is no reason to "trick" the ECM. Hope this helped.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mailmanhugh
The stock ECU uses O2 sensor data to make AFR adjustments. The PCV does not want anything else controlling the AFR, so the sensors are stubbed out (sensor input eliminated). The bike runs completely open loop based on the map in the ECU plus the delta map in the PCV.

All the PC brand tuners eliminate the stock O2 sensors, but the auto tune module puts different sensors back in.

Check out the TTS tool kit if you want to retain closed loop operation (as most of us do) with an effective and DIY friendly tool at a reasonable price (if anything HD can be considered reasonably priced). This system as well as some HD tuners (SERT etc) remap the ECU, so the bike runs better, while retaining the advantages O2 sensors provide (or you have the flexibility to set the ECU to run open loop if you so choose, or change your mind).

The fuel pack and other fuelers retain the closed loop operation but add a bit more fuel.

Auto tune systems come with their own O2 sensors.

If you don't want to fiddle with it, there is an outfit that will reprogram your ECU for you that is pretty good.

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-02-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The PCV (5) is an add on to the HD ECM, It basically intecepts signals to and from the ECM, so in order for the system to work, it has to "trick" the ECM in a few area. 1 of them is the o2 sensors. The o2 eliminators trick the ECM into thinking that the feedback from the sensors is ideal, therefore the ECM will not attempt to make adjustments to air fuel. The other systems like the SERT, SEPST and the TTS do not use o2 eliminators. Since you are actually tuning the VE tables in the MAP in the ECM, there is no reason to "trick" the ECM. Hope this helped.
"Trick" sounds like the PCV is perpetrating a mortal sin upon the ECM. I believe I'm correct in saying the PCV functionally does the same thing as changing the VE tables in the ECM. If you started with 80 in one cell and changed it to 88, the same result would be to insert "10" (designating 10%) in a PCV map in the same cell. Either way you get the same injector pulse-width. Neither the ECM nor the injector knows the difference, right? So it seems like a victimless crime to me.

Last edited by iclick; 06-06-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
"Trick" sounds like the PCV is perpetrating an mortal sin upon the ECM. I believe I'm correct in saying the PCV functionally does the same thing as changing the VE tables in the ECM. If you started with 80 in one cell and changed it to 88, the same result would be to insert "10" (designating 10%) in a PCV map in the same cell. Either way you get the same injector pulse-width. Neither the ECM nor the injector knows the difference, right? So it seems like a victimless crime to me.
Yeah but "trick the ECM" is the easiest way for me to explain it. I wasn't trying to insinuate that the PC doesn't do it's job and isn't an adequate product. Just that it acheives it's goals in differn't ways than a product that has the capabilities to flash the ECM. It "manipulates" signals. Besides, if DynoJet didn't think that writing to the Ecm wasn't a better way, they wouldn't have developed the vision. With the ability to rite to the ECM they opened up a whole lot more for the PC users like yourself. Some of the features have always been available to some of the other tuners and some of them are revolutionary. It's all good stuff. Pretty much all the tuners work as advertised, it just comes down to user preference. I tune pretty much all of them, some I prefer more than others.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody considered the different brand's (Shell, Mobil etc.) of gas to be a factor in all of this?
I have a PCV on my 2012C and noticed that I get more decel popping and knocking on WOT depending on who's brand of gas I'm using.
Also wonder if a tune is done on 'X' brand of gas will the tune be effected when using another brand of gas?
PS I always use 93 octane.