Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
BTD
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SERT Question/Help

I have a new SERT and had to buy the HD cables. The &*%$##@ cables are 9 pin connections and my (newer) Dell laptop is 15 pin. After numerous trips all over hell's half acre, I got a 9 pin to USB connection which, when added to the existing wiring, will allow me to connect with the computer with one more piece of cable. Any risk in this set-up before I start? Also, in looking at the cable instructions that I bought with the SERT, it looks like the connector to the ECM goes on the left hand side with the Screaming Eagle logo facing me and up. Seems like the only connection that works is with the ECM cable on the right hand side with the Screaming Eagle logo facing me and up so it is not the same as in the picture. Is this backwards and if so, any risk here? I sure don't want to fry the SERT or the ECM. Thanks for any insight.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT Question/Help

Hook the cable from the bike to the key, that will tell you the proper way to install it - don't worry about the picture of the logo. If you were to look at all the connections that are in the series the way the product was designed, the male sides would always face toward the bike. Male computer to female 9 pin - male 9-pin to female key - male key to female cable to bike - Male cable ALDL female ALDL bike.

You may experience a communication problem due to converting it to usb - the com speeds are different. The EFI Tuner is not designed to be used with USB, but many adapters work. Search for info on this site.

Sometimes it will lock up the software, sometimes it will lock up the ecm and the dealer will have to recover it. When recording data with the setup you have, set the frames per second to about 8.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: SERT Question/Help

ORIGINAL: BTD

I have a new SERT and had to buy the HD cables. The &*%$##@ cables are 9 pin connections and my (newer) Dell laptop is 15 pin.
That is a Video connection. Got nothing to do with serial.

The USB adapter is the only way to go.

Hook the cable from the MC to the SERT first. It will only go one way. Then the serial cable will only connect one way.